Auger, plunger, or...?? to clear plastic tampon applicator clog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait.......?...there are many?of these in the sewer line?

Man that is a tough one.

Plunge the water closet first to see if it will clear, if it does pull it, you will need a new wax ring to put it back, its simple.

Look to see if any can be seen in the line remove any accordingly.

Depending on your skills/want to save$$$$ get a long wire (home depot/lowes) and go fishing.

OR for about $100-$150 a plumber should be able to get it out,

Good Luck

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get an auger made for toilets. It will have a plastic sleeve around the outside and the head will be a bell head made from steel wire.

Grab a toilet wax ring while you're there, in case you have to pull the toilet.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are most likely still in the toilet. If they were in the main the whole house would back up. Turn off the water and drain the tank and bowl. Remove the toilet and lay it on its side. Look in from the bottom and their probably right there where it turns down. Drag them out with something and reverse the removal process. Be sure to scrape off the old and replace the wax ring. It pretty easy. If you can break down and clean a glock you can do this. If its not there you need a plumber.

Fyi- This also works for match box cars and disembodied barbie appendages. ...

True but there isn't poop in a glock. Lol At least its not a public toilet.

When I worked for a parks service that had facilities, the womens bathroom was always nastier than mens. I wouldn't even wince a little at my own house hold plumbing problems now. The little job OP speaks of, should be whined about a little to the wife so maybe he gets a little extra tonight. OP those tampon applicators are light weight plastic, they aren't schedule 40 pvc pipe. Women parts are kinda soft and tender. I bet your basic handheld auger device will be your best start. If that doesn't work go outside of house nearest the point where you think is a straight line from bathroom to street. Use a thin pointed rod and poke (don't hammer, push with arm strength only) around parallel to the street next to house every 3-4 inches until you hit something. Then you should be able to dig that area up with a shovel to find a clean out. Screw cap out to access your sewer pipe. You can snake toward your house and you can snake away from your house. However it is VERY IMPORTANT when going towards the house, only run the snake in a short enough distance to not reach the plumbing.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Few things:

Outstanding use of puns throughout this thread - OSA, you do not disappoint (Danny, my hat's off to you for these two in particular):
Yeah, for reasons I mentioned above, I'm pretty anal about what gets flushed... Not knowing about plumbing means that I do whatever I can to baby our system, which is why I'm super pissed about this scenario.

But then, this is TMI:
When cleaning up #2, I use 3 squares, max, per swipe, folded and folded until my only other option is scraping away the gunk with my fingernails.

Also, because it has to be said, I'm just going to get it out of the way:

"TAMPONBERG"

Lastly, I don't think you're going to retrieve the plastic bits (it sounds as if this is what you're trying to do), just get them loose and let them move on down the line to be a part of the city's tamponberg (I'm assuming your main line is a 4" PVC or something large enough that this isn't going to cause any issues there).

It's like any other troubleshooting. Plunge at the toilet first, and then if that doesn't work, snake/auger from there and if that doesn't work, pull the toilet to see if things are draining past the toilet or if the problem is inside the toilet.

If other stuff is draining, then you can eliminate the main line and most likely all of the other non-problem-bathroom plumbing right off the bat (depending on how creative the plumber was that built your house).

Latest posts

Top Bottom