Backup carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been throwing around the idea of backup carry. Does anybody do this and what methods do you use? I have been considering getting a g27 and putting it in an ankle holster as a backup to my g22, any thoughts or comments always welcome

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^Sounds like you answered your own question. Same gun basically, just smaller. Assuming you're proficient with the larger, the smaller should be easy enough to get used to with a little practice. I would go with what you are considering, for various reasons.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a Beretta Tomcat in one a long time ago as a backup. I never felt secure with it being there, kinda like having a weight that I was constantly having to readjust. It didn't flop around or ever come loose from my leg, but it was a definite nuisance. I would suggest that if you do end up with an ankle holser, practice A LOT with it. I would look at some sort of front pocket carry depending on your set of circumstances.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a cheap uncle mike's ankle holster for long trips in the car.

It's alright with a little kt 32 or 380, tryed our 638, with the wider cylinder it was a no go!!!

Got to get them adjusted just right, a little to loose or tight makes a really big difference!!!

I like my bug in my pocket!!!

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of very few officers that carry a BUG on their person. The idea is great....application of it is a true pain. (literally). The average added weight of the normal patrol officers required uniform is about 27 lbs. I know it does not sound like much but with a very large chunk of that weight sitting just on the hips it can create some serious problems. Most cops just dont want to add to it

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well David, since you want to go down that road I'll play. Just how many times have you been in a life and death situation where you couldn't get to to your primary weapon. Just how many times have you been in a life or death situation? Just how many people to you know personally not heard of have been in a life or death situation? IMHO I think a number of people see's or hears about something and say I've got to have that, when in truth you really don't. It took me couple of years after I left the Sheriff's Office to realize I don't need a hi-cap weapon, I mean what are the odds of me getting in a fire-fight with a bunch of hostile's. That is really when I embraced the my favorite weapon the 1911. Just saying the odds of you ever needing do not justify having to carry the extra weight or responsibility of keeping track of another weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom