Backup carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well David, since you want to go down that road I'll play. Just how many times have you been in a life and death situation where you couldn't get to to your primary weapon. Just how many times have you been in a life or death situation? Just how many people to you know personally not heard of have been in a life or death situation? IMHO I think a number of people see's or hears about something and say I've got to have that, when in truth you really don't. It took me couple of years after I left the Sheriff's Office to realize I don't need a hi-cap weapon, I mean what are the odds of me getting in a fire-fight with a bunch of hostile's. That is really when I embraced the my favorite weapon the 1911. Just saying the odds of you ever needing do not justify having to carry the extra weight or responsibility of keeping track of another weapon.

If you're carrying a full size 1911 with a spare mag, you're already carrying more gun than 90% of the CCW'ers out there.

To the OP, if you're gonna get a G-16 ankle rig, get the Galco Ankle Glove. It's secure, comfortable and fast (for an ankle rig). Most ankle holsters can't do all three.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well David, since you want to go down that road I'll play. Just how many times have you been in a life and death situation where you couldn't get to to your primary weapon. Just how many times have you been in a life or death situation? Just how many people to you know personally not heard of have been in a life or death situation? IMHO I think a number of people see's or hears about something and say I've got to have that, when in truth you really don't. It took me couple of years after I left the Sheriff's Office to realize I don't need a hi-cap weapon, I mean what are the odds of me getting in a fire-fight with a bunch of hostile's. That is really when I embraced the my favorite weapon the 1911. Just saying the odds of you ever needing do not justify having to carry the extra weight or responsibility of keeping track of another weapon.

You're worried about extra weight and carrying a 1911??? Blasphemy.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocktogo said:
If you're carrying a full size 1911 with a spare mag, you're already carrying more gun than 90% of the CCW'ers out there.

To the OP, if you're gonna get a G-16 ankle rig, get the Galco Ankle Glove. It's secure, comfortable and fast (for an ankle rig). Most ankle holsters can't do all three.

Right on

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The weight is not the main issue, its the feeling of the need for a back up. I'm not putting the OP down for wanting to carry a BU, just trying to understand why. As for the 1911, I carry a S&W Gunsite LW Commander it weighs 29.9oz unloaded. If I'm correct the G27 weighs 20oz unloaded and the G22is at 22oz. I don't carry an extra mag, just what's in the gun which is 8+1, and when I'm not carrying my 1911 I carry a S&W Model 38 AW Bodyguard 5 shot snubbie.

okav8tor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I feel. The odds of me ever having to pull the trigger are very slim. I injured my back in the Marine Corps so carrying a large gun isn't really the best option for me. I feel 100% confident in my LCP and that it will get me out of the situation and to safety. My number one priority if I ever get into a "shootout" is to get to safety, not duke it out. If you really feel the need for one, get a pocket gun. Or just get a mag holder and carry an extra mag.

My feelings as well. I too fell 100% confident carrying my little LCP in my hip pocket.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
surjimmy said:
I don't carry an extra mag, just what's in the gun which is 8+1, and when I'm not carrying my 1911 I carry a S&W Model 38 AW Bodyguard 5 shot snubbie.

The #1 cause of malfunctions in automatic pistols is the magazine. It's silly to not carry a spare.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The weight is not the main issue, its the feeling of the need for a back up. I'm not putting the OP down for wanting to carry a BU, just trying to understand why. As for the 1911, I carry a S&W Gunsite LW Commander it weighs 29.9oz unloaded. If I'm correct the G27 weighs 20oz unloaded and the G22is at 22oz. I don't carry an extra mag, just what's in the gun which is 8+1, and when I'm not carrying my 1911 I carry a S&W Model 38 AW Bodyguard 5 shot snubbie.

My railed 5" 1911PD weighs in at 28.4 empty and 37.5 fully loaded. I still carry a spare magazine EVERY TIME I put it on. It's silly not to IMO.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J frame in the front pocket. That backs up a 1911 or Glock 19. Some days the J moves to an IWB and a .380 goes in a pocket

If I cannot get 2 guns in the mix- there is always a reload for the one I do have.

You guys all have a spare tire in the trunk?

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically don't carry a BUG because I detest pocket holsters. They all suck ass. After finding my j-frame on a sofa I was sitting on, the Desantis pocket holster was dumped. Luckily I found it before my little kids did. Never even felt it slip out.

So, now it's either a full size 1911 in a Mitch Rosen with two spare mags or my Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight in an Akers pancake holster with two speed strips. If I'm looking for a New York reload, I carry the 1911 at 3 o'clock and the M38 at 9 o'clock.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a g22 iwb as well as a dbl mag pouch iwb holster as well. Is it heavy? Kinda but nothing unbearable, i use top notch equipment as well, I disbelieve in cheap stuff as far as quality goes. I realize the idea if a bug isnt very popular but I know I cant be the only one who's thought about it

Latest posts

Top Bottom