Backup carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two is one, one is none. The fastest reload is another gun. There are alot of reasons to carry two guns, but the best reason I can think to have a back up is that you get to HAVE ANOTHER GUN. Very few of us on here have just one firearm.
I think that the OP will find the "back up" gun will be easier to carry on a daily basis and may even become his primary. I toted a Glock 22 around for a while and ended up going with something smaller.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not been in a life and death situation, nor have I needed a such backup system "yet" but how do you know when you will be? I don't wake up and say hey I think I am going to get into a situation today, I do wake up put the gear I have on and say I hope I don't need to use this today but will if I have to to protect myself and my family/friends as need be. I was just simply asking for input, and all is very accepted. I love this sight because we can have a conversation with diversity as well as opinion wars. I also like to spark up conversations like this... Thank you for your responses

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mostly carry a bug and a mouse gun, cause i like guns!!! Always got a little revolver or auto in my pocket, and a mini loaded with shot loads for snakes. And when i got out i iwb carry a little nine.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well David, since you want to go down that road I'll play. Just how many times have you been in a life and death situation where you couldn't get to to your primary weapon. Just how many times have you been in a life or death situation? Just how many people to you know personally not heard of have been in a life or death situation? IMHO I think a number of people see's or hears about something and say I've got to have that, when in truth you really don't. It took me couple of years after I left the Sheriff's Office to realize I don't need a hi-cap weapon, I mean what are the odds of me getting in a fire-fight with a bunch of hostile's. That is really when I embraced the my favorite weapon the 1911. Just saying the odds of you ever needing do not justify having to carry the extra weight or responsibility of keeping track of another weapon.

This is how I feel. The odds of me ever having to pull the trigger are very slim. I injured my back in the Marine Corps so carrying a large gun isn't really the best option for me. I feel 100% confident in my LCP and that it will get me out of the situation and to safety. My number one priority if I ever get into a "shootout" is to get to safety, not duke it out. If you really feel the need for one, get a pocket gun. Or just get a mag holder and carry an extra mag.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still occasionally carry two firearms - rarely, but occasionally, especially if I'm carrying a J frame. Really don't need to, but I do. Of course, I remember when, in Vietnam, a Walther PP saved my a** when both a long arm and full size handgun failed on me (after much firing.)

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DavidWOwens said:
So I have been throwing around the idea of backup carry. Does anybody do this and what methods do you use? I have been considering getting a g27 and putting it in an ankle holster as a backup to my g22, any thoughts or comments always welcome

Carry 10 guns if you want, who gives a flip what some of our experts think.

G27 would be a little big for ankle carry I think, you might want to look at something smaller. I also agree with pocket carry for it, I drop a S&W 642 in my pocket when needed. My bigger carry is a G26, I also carry a G23 sometimes.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kroberts2131 said:
This is how I feel. The odds of me ever having to pull the trigger are very slim. I injured my back in the Marine Corps so carrying a large gun isn't really the best option for me. I feel 100% confident in my LCP and that it will get me out of the situation and to safety. My number one priority if I ever get into a "shootout" is to get to safety, not duke it out. If you really feel the need for one, get a pocket gun. Or just get a mag holder and carry an extra mag.

I do carry a mag carrier with extra mags. I carry the crossbreed dbl mag holder and love it

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<<<<<Actually the chances of me being in a firefight or even needing a gun are pretty slim.
I hang out at the house a lot, but when I do go out my Wifey is usually with me.
She has LUPUS and cant get around fast some time, Ill take the extra discomfort
So...When a man needs a gun, he usually needs it very quickly.
Scenerios can change ..Very quickly

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my guns, they all have a nice feel. Somewhere I remember hearing "Happiness is a warm gun". It is difficult to decide which one to carry at times. I am thinking of purchasing suspenders to keep more of them happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom