Beef too high in the store?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been done, and I’m sure is still being done. When I first went to work for Pilgrims in the early 90’s, it was an urban legend that Bo Pilgrim sent a weekly bus to Laredo to pick up his new labor force for the processing plants. It was said he provided them with towels to dry off with and fake green cards, and then put them to work. It turned out to be at least partially true. Since that time, every town I know of in east Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana that has a poultry processing plant is overrun with mexicans.
We had a tyson foods plant here in Ponca. I worked down the road at a manufacturing facility at that time. 20 some years ago.
One day about 5 big busses and a plethora of big black SUV's rolled past and made a beeline for the tyson plant.
We couldn't see it, but later stories were that people were jumping out of windows, and running across the farm fields adjacent to the plant with Immigration Agents right behind them.
Busses took them back to Mexico that day.
Within 5 days, some of them were filtering back to their jobs. It doesn't take long with the systems in place for the illegals then and now to get back into this country and evade immigration.
There is a lot of help on our side of the border too.
This winter we traveled to Kingsville Tx from the Brownsville area for a day trip. It's about 75 miles through big ranches like the King Ranch, etc.
No checkpoints along that highway 77.
Just East is highway 281. There is a huge checkpoint there that is almost 1/2 miles long that scans vehicles for everything without needing a search. It's scary how many scanners there are at that facility. I felt violated.
Guess which highway the illegals don't take?
HWY 77 actually has big blue open top plastic barrels every couple of miles filled with bottled water provided by some group for "humanitarian" reasons so that is the route they take after the moon rises. It goes around the big fancy scanners on the other highway.
Trump had it right, and I will argue that point to the ends of the earth, but in less than 100 days, as Trump predicted the borders are open now.
Y'all come.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Within 5 days, some of them were filtering back to their jobs. It doesn't take long with the systems in place for the illegals then and now to get back into this country and evade immigration.
There were several trailer mfrs in/near Madill when we first moved to Oklahoma, and they employed cheap labor. INS would show up several times a year, and haul a bus load of illegals back to Mexico.

The standing joke was that they'd beat the bus back to Oklahoma... :D

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“According to recent studies, the U.S. government spends up to $38 billion each year to subsidize the meat and dairy industries, with less than one percent of that sum allocated to aiding the production of fruits and vegetables.6 Most agricultural subsidies go to farmers of livestock and a handful of major crops, including corn, soybeans, wheat, rice, and cotton, with payments skewed toward the largest producers. Corn and soy inputs, in particular, are heavily subsidized crops for the production of meat and processed food by some of the world’s largest meat and dairy corporations. These farm subsidy programs supplement adverse fluctuations in revenues and production, and purchase farmers’ insurance coverage, product marketing, export sales, and research and development.7 This means that while shoppers pay lower immediate prices at the checkout counter, their tax dollars fund major meat operations and advertising. Meanwhile, meat and dairy producers accrue yearly retail sales to the tune of 250 billion dollars.8

In addition to subsidies, Americans pay for meat consumption through healthcare costs and climate disruption. As David Simon illustrates in his book Meatonomics, consumers foot an estimated $2 in external costs for every $1 of product the meat and dairy industry sells.9 In other words, a $4 Big Mac actually costs society $11.”

source: https://jia.sipa.columbia.edu/remov...ognitive-dissonance-around-animal-agriculture

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a tyson foods plant here in Ponca. I worked down the road at a manufacturing facility at that time. 20 some years ago.
One day about 5 big busses and a plethora of big black SUV's rolled past and made a beeline for the tyson plant.
We couldn't see it, but later stories were that people were jumping out of windows, and running across the farm fields adjacent to the plant with Immigration Agents right behind them.
There is a lot of help on our side of the border too.
This winter we traveled to Kingsville Tx from the Brownsville area for a day trip. It's about 75 miles through big ranches like the King Ranch, etc.
No checkpoints along that highway 77.
Just East is highway 281. There is a huge checkpoint there that is almost 1/2 miles long that scans vehicles for everything without needing a search. It's scary how many scanners there are at that facility. I felt violated.
Guess which highway the illegals don't take?
HWY 77 actually has big blue open top plastic barrels every couple of miles filled with bottled water provided by some group for "humanitarian" reasons so that is the route they take after the moon rises. It goes around the big fancy scanners on the other highway.
Trump had it right, and I will argue that point to the ends of the earth, but in less than 100 days, as Trump predicted the borders are open now.
Y'all come.
When I was working up in the panhandle just the rumor of ICE raids cleaned out the plants in Guymon (Seaboard Farms) and in Liberal, KS (National Beef). It really put a hurt on them and damn near shut them down for a time. They did raid a couple of plants up north and that sent them scurrying all over, the very next morning the largest part of the labor force didn't show up. Just vanished into the night. A lady at the courthouse said her husband ended up going to work there and to get labor they were paying some big bucks. How times change huh?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our date is about a year old and now I'm hoping I can get 2 in instead of just the 1.. I'm seriously looking at putting up a small building and processing our own meats.. This morning Tucker says grocery shelves are going to look like depression times.. I need to find some more wheat for the wheat grinder I bought here sometime back.. Damn feed stores don't carry feed wheat anymore.. How low can we go ?
Harvest is wrapping up. Did you get a bin full of wheat put up?

Latest posts

Top Bottom