being in the right place at the right time....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I assume he is referring to the act as being tortious interference with a contract? Just spit balling here though. :)

I took it as he talked with him inside after he declined the offer and meet him outside to buy the gun. The way I look at it is thats what the pawn shop owner for trying to take advantage of the guy. I know a lot of people on here that has their FFL and not a one make 45 to 50% GP on hand guns. The guy has just trying to lowball and it backfired in my eyes.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took it as he talked with him inside after he declined the offer and meet him outside to buy the gun. The way I look at it is thats what the pawn shop owner for trying to take advantage of the guy. I know a lot of people on here that has their FFL and not a one make 45 to 50% GP on hand guns. The guy has just trying to lowball and it backfired in my eyes.

Agreed fully. I just figured that was what the quoted post was referring to. Not that I think there is anything wrong with what happened. Free markets and all.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have stopped by that shop if it's who I am thinking of and lets just say I will not be going back. It could not have happened to a nicer person and I have only meet him once (When I stopped by to kill some time) if that who I am thinking it is... Sorry for the rant!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a run in with a shop owner once over something sort of similar. A guy came in with a gun and tried to pawn/sell it. The owner of the shop low balled him and the guy started to walk out. Just as he got near the door, I simply asked, well how much were you wanting for it (a question the shop owner never asked). I immediately got yelled at by the shop owner, something along the lines of I'm not gonna let you undercut me right here in my own store. Now in retrospect, I suppose I should have just followed the guy outside, but I still firmly believe that if I were the store owner, I wouldn't have made any kind of stink. I had my shot and the guy walked away from me. After that, it's free market. In my case, I didnt' butt in or try to steal the deal. But hey, it's his shop he can do what he wants. I'm just throwing this out there to reiterate the point that shop owners, apparently, don't want anyone making any kind of deal on their property unless it's them, even if they've already blown the deal.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the guy declined the shops offer and was walking out, you still are in a gray area. That is not my understanding of what happened. He said and I quote "They told him they would only give him $300. He tried getting more, but decided he would sell it since he needed the cash. I jumped in and told him id give him $350" KEY WORD Jumped In. Now your telling me not one of you would be pissed with a capitol P if he did that to you? Everyone knows a Pawn Shop is going to offer you 20-30% of the value on an item. Don't get me wrong, I have no love for pawn shops, but IMO if it happened like he said he was wrong.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I saw a guy attempting to sell a PPK with Nazi proof marks at a local Tulsa shop... the shop couldn't identify the marks and thought it was a fake. I went outside and waited for the guy to leave... he was looking for $150 for beer money, I didn't have change so I gave him $200 and told him not to worry about it. You never know what you'll come across when you're not looking for something.

I do however believe it's actually illegal to make an offer INSIDE a pawn shop in Oklahoma though.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I saw a guy attempting to sell a PPK with Nazi proof marks at a local Tulsa shop... the shop couldn't identify the marks and thought it was a fake. I went outside and waited for the guy to leave... he was looking for $150 for beer money, I didn't have change so I gave him $200 and told him not to worry about it. You never know what you'll come across when you're not looking for something.

I do however believe it's actually illegal to make an offer INSIDE a pawn shop in Oklahoma though.

You in the mood to double your money for that steenkin' old PPK? Here's how: You PM me and say yes. I jump in my car, drive through ATM to get $400, hot-foot it to Tulsa from Yukon, and in about 2 hours...Poof! Just like magic; you double your money and no steenkin' old PPK for you to worry over! I'm with Jimmy on behavior inside the guy's hop and all but like...is this an okay way to make an offer?

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand this right, you went in a Pawn Shop. A customer brought in a S&W MP, the Pawn Shop guy made an offer of $300, and you interrupted their deal with a larger offer of $350. If this is what you did... You are dead wrong in your actions, I hope you don't do this at gun shows.

If the guy declined the shops offer and was walking out, you still are in a gray area. That is not my understanding of what happened. He said and I quote "They told him they would only give him $300. He tried getting more, but decided he would sell it since he needed the cash. I jumped in and told him id give him $350" KEY WORD Jumped In. Now your telling me not one of you would be pissed with a capitol P if he did that to you? Everyone knows a Pawn Shop is going to offer you 20-30% of the value on an item. Don't get me wrong, I have no love for pawn shops, but IMO if it happened like he said he was wrong.
I slept fine last night. The guy needed the money, so I got him more money. I'm not worried if he was pissed or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom