Beretta M9/92F: OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beretta 92F/M9 is....

• An excellent fighting pistol.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • A viable option, but not my first choice.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • A piece of ****.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not getting into the caliber war here just wanted to give my opinion of the M92. I have owned two, an original 92 with the frame mounted safety, it worked perfect wish I had not traded it off. And, my current Beretta, an Elite II. Sure it is large for a high cap 9mm, but it has a good SA trigger pull, works 100%. and is very accurate. For a hammer fired, aluminum frame 9mm it is right in there with the Sig P226 and S&W 3rd generation. I think it is a fine pistol myself.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v23_hberttmank_berettaeliteII_1.jpg

Now I like that 92!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just asked me to prove a negative ....

Nope, I asked you to prove equality in weights from performance and back up your statements of "mathmatical zero." Hint: You can't do it because the PRJ study doesn't exist and it was a complete BS statement. There will be a critical period in FxMA where (M) is significant in terms of damage in the human body if all else is the same, otherwise you're changing the laws of physics.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I asked you to prove equality in weights from performance and back up your statements of "mathmatical zero." Hint: You can't do it because the PRJ study doesn't exist and it was a complete BS statement. There will be a critical period in FxMA where (M) is significant in terms of damage in the human body if all else is the same, otherwise you're changing the laws of physics.

What is PRJ? What is FxMA?

Look at any study - you got projectiles from 35gn to 250gn with muzzle energy from under 100ft/lb to over 600ft/lb; ie change by a magnitude! and yet we see no significant difference in lethality; and even if there is a difference it doesn't correlate to the weight of the projectile. What it means: in that sample window weight and energy are irrelevant.

If that is not obvious - I guess you can keep calling my statements BS.

P. S. "study showing that weight makes NO difference" <-- asking for evidence of non existence.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is PRJ? What is FxMA?

Peer Reviewed Journal or PR study, basically the accepted norm of published scientific study.

F=MA Sorry about the (X).... sausage fingers.

and yet we see no significant difference in lethality

and this is what you cannot prove without a doubt or even an equality in stopping someone. You can guess, but it's nearly impossible to measure unless you shoot several people in the exact same location and compare. Don't think anyone would sign up for this. :D Gel tests are not 100% homologous to the human body, sure they are a great primer but they can't reproduce the charachteristics of projectiles in the human body in a complete manner. Mass WOULD play a factor in going through bone and tougher soft tissues (all things being equal), anyone that says different needs to go back to physics.

If that is not obvious - I guess you can keep calling my statements BS.

P. S. "study showing that weight makes NO difference" <-- asking for evidence of non existence

It's not obvious because you are looking at science in a remedial manner and making absolute statements. When someone explores the higher levels of study they can see that these are BS statements. So it's quite simple..... In the world of scientific study, when you say a variable (that is different) plays no significant part in a result then it is up to YOU to prove the equality. Don't believe me? Read up on Null hypotheis. So it's scientific Method 101 my friend.

Look, this is all pointless. You wanna believe 9mm is the end all be all, then great..... more power to you.... but if you keep trying to bust out junk science and study as a reference, you're gonna get called out on it. Lets just call it what it is..... an opinion.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm late to this thread and I can see that it has wandered.

On the 92...it rocks. For years I was blissful in my ignorance: the Beretta was too fat, too big, 9mm sucks, the safety sucks. Blah blah blah. Then I picked up Ayoob's book on Beretta for $5 at B&N. Hmmm...

Since LE trade-ins could be had pretty reasonably, I ended up with one shortly thereafter. Yes, the grips seem fat but it handled well for me, unlike an HK USP. In fact, it's rather a natural pointer for me.

Safety and TDA...I'm over it. It works fine for me once I tried it instead of navel-gazing about it.

Big, blocky sights: work like a charm for me.

Ease of takedown for cleaning and maintenance: just outstanding, and makes it much less of chore.

Obviously some of you have had lousy trigger pulls, but the ones I've tried range from very good to an outstanding (on a DAO). The trigger reach for my medium sized hands: no problem, and better than a CZ75.

Parts and mags: inexpensive, available, and of good quality. I have had outstanding reliability.

Accuracy: quite fine and fully as good as any other service pistol I've tried.

Now I realize that no pistol can be all things to all people, and for various reasons the 92 may not be "it" for you. But don't knock it unless you've tried it for yourself. I'm no fanboy either, as I appreciate other platforms such as Glock, Sig, the 1911, CZ75 and S&W third gen autos.

Still, this is a rare opportunity to proudly cast a vote for a candidate that I really like!

Whoa... careful now... you thought the caliber war was a nasty one...

:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom