Beretta M9/92F: OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beretta 92F/M9 is....

• An excellent fighting pistol.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • A viable option, but not my first choice.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • A piece of ****.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M9 designation is part of the title of the poll, and while the M9 itself may not have been built by "the lowest bidder" (normally considered humor in reference to .gov issued equipment) the magazines certainly were. The comparison arguement of round effectiveness usually starts with a comparison of the standard FMJ ammunition. You could include wildcats, and hot loads either direction to 'win' the point, if that is the intent.

You could also make the argument that shot placement somewhat negates the capacity, which is, IMO, the primary difference, unless being overrun. In that case, a shoulder weapon, crew-served weapon, and on up to a nuke may be better choices.

I disagree that shot placement makes caliber irrelevant. If that was the case, .177 or .22 would be more viable ad defensive rounds.

i own, and carry, both calibers, along with others. Depending on platform and load, both are extremely viable defensive rounds. The poll asked if the M9/92F would be my first choice. The M9, in most cases, is issued with NATO FMJ ammunition. Big gun, poor 9x19 load. The 92F with a choice of load is better, but I would still not make it a first choice.

It is just MY opinion. I do not care what anyone else chooses to carry. Not my business.

M9 does not = 9mm FMJ ammo unless you're entering into battle under the regulations of a NATO-sanctioned military force. I own an M9 (not a 92), and I don't plan on running FMJ in it other than to target practice. I'm of the opinion that NATO could revise the crappy Hague Conventions that require stupid "ball" ammo anyways (its not like any of the contractors or non-NATO alliance nations are following that convention).

My whole point is that when you move into self-defense rounds, the ballistic difference between .45 and 9mm is not nearly what the difference between the FMJ versions (not that 9mm is somehow better). That's not wildcat rounds or hot loads for the purpose of winning an argument (most of the 9mm self-defense rounds I've seen on the shelf in any gun store are at least +P - its a common load for all the major SD ammo makers). That to me is apples to apples in a "fighting pistol" as far as I'm concerned (self-defense or use by LEOs - granted, it is a military pistol as well, but I'm not in a military battle with it and I presume that a lot of folks typing in this thread aren't either).

No one said that shot-placement makes caliber irrelevant either - the difference between 9mm and .45 is negligible, but in my opinion, there is a "too little" and "too much" in the way of size/speed.

My personal opinion is that 9mm is on the low-side of acceptable size/speed (the +P+ rounds get it up to pretty acceptable speeds), and that .380 is about the low-end limit (I'm not a fan of .32ACP based on some of the results I've seen with subcompact guns in that caliber). I'd say that .45acp is around the top-end limit as I've seen the recoil, capacity, weight and size limitations of larger calibers and I wouldn't personally use anything larger than a .45acp (if you do, then great - not knocking anyone's caliber).

I'll say this - shot-placement is key, but as has been said in this thread already: under duress, you don't always have the proper shot-placement. Rather than relying on a larger caliber to "do more damage" when I miss the vital areas (i.e. center of mass), I'd rather have more capacity just in case I need it instead.

And if it doesn't stop them, I guess I'm comfortable with shooting them a few more times until it does. Just remember, when the Judge asks you "why did you shoot that attacker 5 times" you answer "because 4 wouldn't have been enough and 6 would have been too many".

I get that Beretta had some metallurgy problems and failing slides, but I was under the impression that those existed with the 92SB (or 92S-1) and were fixed by the larger hammer-pin design of the 92F model (which I assumed the OP was talking about) in 1989.

And if the comment about the magazines being made by the lowest bidder has to do with failures, Airtronic Services got the low-bid to deliver mags and over 900,000 were delivered with no failures (the failures in 03/04 were due to that crappy phosphate finish that the .gov required Checkmate to put on the mags for corrosion resistance) so the failures are actually not a result of the lowest-bidder thing (and yeah, I get the joke, I was in the military long enough to fully appreciate that line).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree that shot placement makes caliber irrelevant. If that was the case, .177 or .22 would be more viable ad defensive rounds.
They are ... we just didn't get used to it yet: next generation is lighter/faster rounds: 4.6x30, 5.45x18, 5.7x28, 7n21, 5.8x21 etc etc

It will take time, LONG time - the 30-06/45acp crowd will swear with blind faith that those two are the best cartridges ever created and nothing will change their mind.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No disrespect - but it sounds that you are implying that somehow 45FMJ doesn't suck 7 ways till sunday...

I have mentioned two instanced where 45 indeed sucked - Please elaborate, how in your experience it didn't suck as much as 9mm.

Recently, I know an 18yr old kid that was shot 4 times with FMJ 9mm. In this case I was glad it "sucked" because it was a co-workers' son (long story/domestic dispute) but in a nutshell there were 2 shots the abdomen, 1 to the thigh, and 1 to the arm. The most significant was the arm because it shattered the elbow, as everything else passed through and that's the problem with FMJ 9mm. Gotta love cheap ball ammo.

Earlier this year, a friend of mine who is a trauma surgeon in NJ, watched a man with multiple 9mm GS wounds literally walk into his ER. One round even bounced off his sternum best they can tell.

So yes, when it comes to ball, I will take .45 everytime over 9mm. YMMV.

Like I said, if we are limited to FMJ (everyone keeps talking service) then there's no comparison, the 9mm sucks. Otherwise, with modern day JHP ammo, then pick your poison.... 9mm, .40, .45, .357sig. :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awww jeez guys, this has gotten ridiculous. The question was about the gun, not the calibers.

Regarding the Beretta, I don't care for it for me, personally, but would feel completely fine carrying one if I had to. The great thing is I get to pick what works well for me, on an individual level. For this reason, I voted A viable option, but not my first choice.

If we are asking about arming an entire force, I would be more apt to lean towards the Beretta over something like a .45 1911 personally, due to cost and caliber and interchangeability and fitment of parts. Though to be honest, I would also certainly consider a Glock or M&P or similar when compared the Beretta.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carried a B 96 for a long time.... and agree, for the weight and bulk of the frame, 9x19 is a little silly. The 40 SW 96 was a better choice... but why the heck don't they build this pistol in 45 ACP or (GASP) 10MM?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...for the weight and bulk of the frame, 9x19 is a little silly.

As compared to what? Its lighter than the Colt M1911A1, the CZ 75, the Browning Hi Power, and the S&W 5906 according to Wikipedia.

The 40 SW 96 was a better choice...

Better how?

I would just love to know what the basis is for the tons of comments like these in this thread.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bulk if the grip and size of the M9/92 series along with the trigger are my dislikes. Is it serviceable? Yes. Is it my first choice? No. Why all the excitement about choices? The basis for my comments are my own personal preferences. If you love the M9 go get six of 'em.

There is a school of thought that says 9x19 NATO FMJ does exactly what it is intended to do, along with 11.43x23 NATO FMJ. Wounds created by FMJ ammo require treatment and tie up logistics. Fatalities do not require critical care. The 11.43x23 ball round has a slight energy advantage over the 9x19 ball, but not that much and is still more likely to wound.

Latest posts

Top Bottom