Best 1911 .45 concealed carry gun??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've a 1975 combat commander. The previous owner had some mods done to it by a professional gunsmith that left it worthless as a collector and I got it cheap at Sportsworld consignment. Upgraded it with Novaks, three dot plain white rear and tritium front. Had a trigger job done to it and breaks at an even 4 pounds. Super nice little gun. Accurate as hell and will reliably feed any hollow point thanks to a professionally done throated and polished barrel. Carry it with Federal HSTs.
I carry it all the time. Summer Comfort II holster makes it super comfortable for carry. I hardly even notice it, but I started out carrying a CZ P01 and a full size 1911 GI model. EVERYONE who knows anything about 1911s has said that the 3" guns are a gamble with reliability so I avoid them. To me, the Commander is perfect. I bought it last May to celebrate conceal carry passing and to celebrate my birthday, and as of right now it's got 2,000 rounds through it. I've had a handful of issues, one of which required a new extractor, but honestly I've had more issues from my Gen 4 Glock 19 than I ever have from the 1911.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What everyone seems to forget is that the 1911 was designed as a combat/ fighting pistol. In my opinion JM Browning did not consider concealed carry for self-defense purposes . The 1911 is STILL relevant for the purpose for which it was designed. There are other better options for concealed carry in my opinion. YMMV :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. The 1911 is STILL relevant for the purpose for which it was designed. There are other better options for concealed carry in my opinion. YMMV :)

Now opinions are just that, but it's REALLY weird to hear someone say the 1911 isn't a great choice for carry. It makes me think you've got no experience with it. 5 secs in a holster will tell you it's a great carry platform due to it's profile. You'd be hard pressed to find it's equal in said profile, without compromising some other aspect.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say my Springfield LW Champion Operator is a great gun. I carried it for almost 2 years in an IWB Andrews Custom Leather McDaniel II holster before switching to an H&K for fulltime concealed carry.

Never had a failure of any kind and I bet it has at least 3k rounds thru it. Still looks brand new. I would reccomend it to anyone,.. but A Dan Wesson Guardian is pretty dang cool too.

Kaw77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 5" Kimber (lightweight frame), 4" S&W Sc and Kimber SS UCII I carry at various times and circumstances, concealed.
Recently I have developed serious low back issues. When I now carry the 5" causes me the most discomfort, (even tho it is a few ounces more that the 4") followed by the 4" and lastly the 3". I realize it is obvious - the lightest causes the least ill affects but I still carry depending on the on the planned activities rather than the discomfort factor.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now opinions are just that, but it's REALLY weird to hear someone say the 1911 isn't a great choice for carry. It makes me think you've got no experience with it. 5 secs in a holster will tell you it's a great carry platform due to it's profile. You'd be hard pressed to find it's equal in said profile, without compromising some other aspect.

Well you are right! Just my opinion. I have some experience with the 1911. Love the way it points and shoots. I own a Combat Commander.
I've carried for allot of years and since I learned and trained on revolvers that is what I carry.
Don't trust my self to remember the safety and envy those who do. Just don't think it makes sense . I would probably be like the Leo whos finger turned white squeezing the trigger under stress and no bang cause he didn't release the safety.i prefer point and shoot .

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 5" 1911. Honestly, I carry it openly or at least OWB with a jacket( weather permitting). I have been thinking about a commander size lately. It's a bit ore concealable and I doubt I am going to notice the missing barrel length in a self defense situation, or any situation for that matter. I think it really boils down to personal preference and where and how you intended to carry it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom