best ar trigger for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for what it's worth I worked my DPMS trigger over and had good luck just don't do too much at once! this time around I'm just going with a Jard I have shot a couple rifles with them and seem to like them and I'm cheap :-) want a different trigger weight just change out the springs if I read things correctly. My bolt guns I run Timney or SSS but the Timney for the AR is a touch pricey for what my job pays me. Later,

Kirk

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of everything mentioned the J.P. is the best, most cost effective. It is easy to obtain a 2 1/4# trigger pull. It comes with a full set of instructions and a DVD to watch in able for you to install it right! I have tried almost all of the triggers mentioned and I always go back to J.P.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brownells or J.P. direct. If you go with J.P. tell them I sent you, it might get you a bit off!

The TTU is slated to be almost as good as the J.P. although I haven't given them a try out side of Glen Shelbys rifle. But like soo many things out there there are a lot of trigger that are trying to be "as good" as a J.P. but few are the same price or as tried and true. The only other trigger I even look at is the Gold Trigger, but all of the "cool" triggers are twice thwe price + of J.P. so for the money J.P. for me is the best!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geissele triggers are the best, most bulletproof triggers on the market, but you pay for what you get. They now have eight different configurations available to suit your needs. The new Dynamic line of Geissele triggers are getting extremely high marks from professional users.

RRA triggers are economical and certainly worth trying if you're on a budget, but have a reputation for high failure rates compared to other triggers. Personally, I'd opt for a JP trigger and spring set before getting a RRA.

I've run RRA, JARD, Bill Springfield, etc. I currently have a JARD and two Geisseles. My next trigger will be another Geissele.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh the Geissele coolade! Hey they are GREAT triggers, no doubt! Are they better than J.P. well I think they are the same. BTW back about 7 years ago we did quite a bit with the guys at Cambell, Brag and Irwin and the J.P. was considered tier one stuff. Although it isn't advertised the J.P. trigger works in the full auto mode as well as the Geissele, the reason the J.P. wasn't accepted at the time was a matter of production VOLUME. Geissele could and has made the quota for the Mark-12 rifles. This isn't to say that the Geissele isn't a great trigger... it is great, but for half the cost....J.P..... at least for me.

As an aside I have over 50,000 rounds on one in a full auto GAU-5 and it is still working great! KurtM

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to add...as long as you are not a Neanderthal you will have no trouble installing the JP trigger. You don't need fancy tools -- I used a piece of sandpaper on the edge of my bench. Pretty hard to beat for $115.

Some of those expensive ones may "drop in" and have various adjustments, etc., which is a bunch of juju I don't need. The JP trigger is super simple and very effective.

Kurt what do you think about the JP hammer and oversized pins they optionally bundle with the trigger? Being a cheap ass I didn't originally buy those and I'm wondering if they are worthwhile additions. I have noticed a bit of play in the trigger when the hammer is forward that is caused by the trigger pin not being tightly fitted. Is that about the worst of it?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since there is very little movement for a J.P to function I don't think the "extra" movenent will cause any problems. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom