Best survival knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since most of you seem to think the Bear Grylls will be junk, what do you suggest as the BEST survival knife with a budget of $100 or less? The ESEE knives are nice, but I have a hard time paying that amount for a knife. Right now I carry a Benchmade 9050 auto knife, but it was military issued. I've had it for bout 9 years, and still going strong.....so let me hear your opinions...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think "survival" knife is more of a marketing concept than anything else. Asking a single blade to be everything is in my opinion too much and most like a huge compromise in quality and durability.

I think what would be most useful in a survival situation would be:

1) A SAK or other reliable multi-tool.

2) A small fixed blade knife.

3) A larger "camp" or "chopper" knife.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$100 could get you 10 Mora 510's, but they discontinued them. Hard to find now. No better deal in the world of outdoor knives.

I'd have a RAT RC-3. I guess that would be the ESEE 3 now. I paid like $90 for it, great knife.

Fixed blade, 3-4" in length, carbon steel (no stainless), non-serrated. The most useful type of knife IMO.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to go hiking so I'm looking for something to have in case of an emergency. I'm also looking for one of those magnesium firestarters. That is what was nice about the Bear Grylls knife........this will be used for hunting/camping/hiking.....that's all

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to have a Coye Ridgeback with G10 scales and partially serrated blade. Once that becomes available, I will most likely get one. Excellent knives made by a fellow forum member.

Latest posts

Top Bottom