Best survival knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sog powerlock is the best multitool i've ever used... I've cut 1/8" bolts with it and it has great smaller tools also. Don't buy a Fusion jungle primitive... lol It holds an edge great but i took a huge chunk out of the blade on a small oak limb... lol and the saw doesn't work... at all. Try a Cold steel... they hold an edge ok and are reasonably priced. Ka-bar too...

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another recomndation would be the sog fusion throwing knives... They hold an edge well for the price and you get 3 for like $40 bucks... some paracord and you're good to go... I like mine... but I have a seal team elite on my tac/hunting bag.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the gerber lmf2 would be a good buy. was $60 at lapolicegear.com

i agree with others, you need multiple tool for camping. a multitool....sog powerlock is awesome, a fixed blade, and a hatchet/chopper...gransfors bruks hunter axe. combined, might be a little more than what you want to spend, but worth it overall.

keep your magnesium firestarter in your pocket. you can get sheaths that have pouches on them, and could put a ferro rod in there.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to go hiking so I'm looking for something to have in case of an emergency. I'm also looking for one of those magnesium firestarters. That is what was nice about the Bear Grylls knife........this will be used for hunting/camping/hiking.....that's all

What's the budget? ESEE is sort of known for being some of the best valued hard-use knives in the business.

An ESEE Izula is about $40 with no scales or you can spend $60 for the Izula II:

http://www.rockynational.com/search.html

Also, what do you want out of this knife?

No matter what, I'd get a knife with a full-tang and scaled handles over most others for a hard-use or "survival knife".

If you want a blade around 2-1/2" to 4" for general cutting use, whittling, cutting rope, etc., then there are a few makers out there that make something that would work for you.

TOPS, ESEE, SwampRat, all make pretty top-notch knives in this category for under $100. Ebay has a lot of the old Rat Cutlery RC3s and 4s (older versions of the ESEE3s and 4s) for pretty cheap.

If you want something bigger... say 4-6" blade... for batoning wood or chopping, then the choices get slimmer and the budget goes up for quality blades.

Strangely enough, if you want a machete, the price goes way down.

Tramontina and Imacasa make some good machetes and are almost always about as cheap as the shipping to get them to your doorstep. Condor sells a sharpened version of the Imacasa for a few bucks more (and I want to say its got an upgraded handle over the Imacasa) and for a few bucks more than that, ESEE sells an upgraded version of the same machete with better handles, a different profiled blade, and their own coating.

I've actually tested a few knives when camping and found that more than a few of them didn't hold up to even the weakest of tests (whittling, cutting small limbs, batoning, cutting rope/webbing, etc.).

Among the worst at this were the Gerber LMF II, the KBAR USMC classic (I bent the guard with almost no effort and when attempting to do very light batoning, I bent the tang at the handle).

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This little baby right here. circa 1986
awww.outinstyle.com_Merchant2_graphics_products_detail_RCO_3230_d.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom