Better watch your kids closely

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously though? "Untimely demise?" I mean, she could have tripped stepping off the curb crossing the next street and suffered the same thing. Not to be morbid, but at 87, life is, well... fragile.

And fragile things take extra care and if that means staying off of busy sidewalks less one gets bumped and fall then one stays off busy sidewalks.

Sorry guys but the old lady was being negligent by placing herself in a situation on a busy sidewalk where she could be bumped and injured from a fall. Don't know if dying from complications from a broken hip is in the top 5 of old folk cause of death but I'd bet money it is in the top 10.

Oh - and GlocktoGo - to answer you comment about me being pretty close to training wheels on a walker I'll tell ya - when I'm in my 80's (good chance of making it that long - my ancestors typically lived into their mid to late 80's, 90's and one to 104) I won't be putting myself into situations where my age would put me in peril.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And fragile things take extra care and if that means staying off of busy sidewalks less one gets bumped and fall then one stays off busy sidewalks.

Sorry guys but the old lady was being negligent by placing herself in a situation on a busy sidewalk where she could be bumped and injured from a fall. Don't know if dying from complications from a broken hip is in the top 5 of old folk cause of death but I'd bet money it is in the top 10.

Oh - and GlocktoGo - to answer you comment about being pretty close to training wheels on a walker when I'm in my 80's (good chance of making it that long - my ancestors typically lived into their mid to late 80's, 90's and one to 104) I won't be putting myself into situations where my age would put me in peril.

I do this all the time, but it is my choice ... personal responsibility is a lost concept on society anymore ... :violin:

Oh, and ETA: Werewolf, we must be related somewhere. If history and our family trees are any indication you and I are gonna be the only two people left posting on OSA in another 40 years or so ... LOL

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Another thought... What is that 4 year gonna think for the rest of their life? That they killed someone's grandma?

How about that thought for a kid to grow up with?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying that "sucks to be old" but that "**** happens" I think it's nuts how sue-happy some people are. My great grandfather (whose wife I mentioned earlier) much MUCH preferred spending a day at my parents house (with 6 kids running around) than being in the "safe" nursing home (which everytime we went to visit him, he talked about "breaking out of this joint"). But I can't imagine his other kids sueing us if my younger brother had tripped him on accident, because mom didn't have him on a leash. He was 90+ at this time. And yes, all of his descendants loved him. He was an awesome man.

Seriously though? "Untimely demise?" I mean, she could have tripped stepping off the curb crossing the next street and suffered the same thing. Not to be morbid, but at 87, life is, well... fragile.

And if she had done it to herself it would be natural causes due to complications from a broken hip. Getting run over by a wild child on a bicycle, training wheels or not, is not a natural cause and yes, the death would be untimely. Sorry to be a stickler about this, but it's the truth. :nolike:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oh - and GlocktoGo - to answer you comment about me being pretty close to training wheels on a walker I'll tell ya - when I'm in my 80's (good chance of making it that long - my ancestors typically lived into their mid to late 80's, 90's and one to 104) I won't be putting myself into situations where my age would put me in peril.

I fully understand taking away their driver's license if they're a danger to others, but how are you gonna take away their license to walk on a public sidewalk???

Another thought... What is that 4 year gonna think for the rest of their life? That they killed someone's grandma?

How about that thought for a kid to grow up with?

A well adjusted person would feel remorse that someone died, but not guilt. I'm not really supporting filing against the 4 year old. I would support filing against the parents if the circumstances warranted it. For all we know the 87 year old complained about the kids being reckless before the accident (and I'm sure it was an unintentional accident). Even an 87 year old has a right to walk on the sidewalk. She may need to go to the store or post office or the bank, any number of things. In most places it's a code violation to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk. There are parks and streets for riding bicycles.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
And if she had done it to herself it would be natural causes due to complications from a broken hip. Getting run over by a wild child on a bicycle, training wheels or not, is not a natural cause and yes, the death would be untimely. Sorry to be a stickler about this, but it's the truth. :nolike:

Not a natural cause, agreed. Terribly sad, absolutely. Would my kid be getting a hide tanning for it? For sure. But untimely? Not so much. Untimely would be the 4 year old getting knocked into the street and hit by a car. At 87 waking up in the morning alive is a blessing.

Like I said before though, who would want to raise kids somewhere where they can't ride their bikes for fear of bumping into someone and getting sued over it?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I fully understand taking away their driver's license if they're a danger to others, but how are you gonna take away their license to walk on a public sidewalk???

A well adjusted person would feel remorse that someone died, but not guilt. I'm not really supporting filing against the 4 year old. I would support filing against the parents if the circumstances warranted it. For all we know the 87 year old complained about the kids being reckless before the accident (and I'm sure it was an unintentional accident). Even an 87 year old has a right to walk on the sidewalk. She may need to go to the store or post office or the bank, any number of things. In most places it's a code violation to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk. There are parks and streets for riding bicycles.

I agree, up to the point of requiring children to ride their bikes in the street, especially in a big city like NY. Might as well hand em an uninsulated extension cord, plastic bags, and 5 gallon buckets of water to play with. And how are they supposed to get the bikes to the park? I don't think I could carry my bike when I was 4.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow we are so advanced as a society that there HAS to be someone to blame and punish for every single thing that happens now? And this whole time i was thinking that sometimes accidents happen, people get hurt and people die, no real fault just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Silly me. Guess I'm to backwards for this highly evolved civilized society.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You don't. It's called personal responsibility. One mentally competent should be able to determine if they are physically competent and act accordingly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom