Big Green Egg Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best results I have ever gotten was on a Big Green Egg.

pros 1. Versatile, slow smoking to blazing hot for steaks 2. The ceramic holds in the heat and radiates it back on what is cooking for even temps

cons 1. Expensive 2. It is not a set and forget smoker like a Cookshack, it takes practice to master 3. Limited capacity

Other companies make Kamado type smokers and they look as good to me at a lower price. The charcoal you use makes a big difference. My favorite is natural lump mesquite.

http://www.twotreesproducts.com/shop/mesquite-lump-charcoal/

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hu? I cook steaks all the time on the treager...best steaks ever. Make sure it out of the wind and it will get to or almost to 400 and your steak will cook fine. It does depend on winter or summer ambient temps and wind though. In winter I pull it into the garage and leave the overhead door open and It will get to 400-420. I did rib-eyes for new years dinner last year.
I do love my treager and cook on it often. Try a meatloaf in it sometime with hickory pellets.

Mine will hold 450 easy in the summer. Not hot enough for steak or hamburgers. Sorry.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they don't get hot enough the steaks will suck. We've baked cookies on the traeger. It doesn't get hot enough for steak but I prefer gas steaks anyway.

Gas for steaks???? Dustin, I'm disappointed! ;)

Charcoal (Lump wood)is the only way to go for steaks! I use gas for dogs and burgers only!

I love the Cookshack for smoking, and I just use a plain Weber for grilling (I'm on my third grate, LOL). I have a 40 or so year old Hastybake that was my Dad's, but it needs to be redone....

I'm intrigued by the GBE though and some of the copies.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have wanted a Big Green Egg since the first time I saw one at the fireplace shop in Bethany that is no longer there. 39th and College, I believe.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh! The Big Green Egg! I have had mine for several years now it seems. I have cooked just about everything I can imagine on it. Great product. Works very well for just about any type of cooking. Grilling, Bake, smoke etc!

Brisket?
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_196.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_199.jpg

Pizza at high temps?
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_004_3.jpg

(not my dough!)

I replaced my gasket a year ago with the Cotronics gasket. I have had a leak since but it's not that big a deal. Its not the gasket but the rings that I misaligned it seems. After a great deal of research and much use of the BGE I am hooked on ceramic cookers for sure!

However, I do believe that if and when I ever replace my BGE I will likely go with a Primo Grill. :)
www.primogrill.com

Great Forum at: www.primogrillforum.com

I like the flexibility of the Oval shape. I have the large BGE and love it but could use a bit wider space. The Primo also uses D plates and makes cooking a small amount much easier than the large egg. Frankly though, many people simply buy a large BGE and a small one for small cooks! :screwy:

Either way, I think the ceramic cookers rock!

Latest posts

Top Bottom