Big Green Egg Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And then if you want a BGE and don't want to spend the money... and you don't need a lot of space, Home Depot sells some ceramic flower pots that you can make one of these little smokers out of...
sa_mokin.ipower.com_IMG_0741QS.JPG

I set it and forget it for 3 hours and get ribs like this...
sa_mokin.ipower.com_IMG_0747QS.JPG

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And then if you want a BGE and don't want to spend the money... and you don't need a lot of space, Home Depot sells some ceramic flower pots that you can make one of these little smokers out of...

I wouldn't be surprised to find it on YouTube, but without searching there or Google, do you mind sharing how you did this?

A few of us here, myself included, have made Ugly Drum Smokers and I get fantastic results out of my UDS, but I'd be curious how to make one of these smaller ceramic smokers for when I don't need 22" of cooking space.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Now that is cool. Is there an opening near the base for ash and a draft vent?

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to find it on YouTube, but without searching there or Google, do you mind sharing how you did this?

A few of us here, myself included, have made Ugly Drum Smokers and I get fantastic results out of my UDS, but I'd be curious how to make one of these smaller ceramic smokers for when I don't need 22" of cooking space.

Sure Danny.

Actually, you won’t find this particular one on YouTube but probably some like it. I saw some pictures on the internet several years back where a guy had made a smoker out of some glazed ceramic flower pots. I found the ones I used at Home Depot and built mine. It worked so well that I posted picture of it on a blog and first thing you know I was seeing the same pots used is used in various manners to achieve the same thing. Here is how I made mine…

These pots are about 12-14 inches across at the top and obviously both the same diameter. The one on top is a little shorter than the pot on the bottom. Home Depot has carried these same pots for 5 or 6 years now and they run about $20-$25 for top and $30-$35 for the bottom pot. They both come with drain holes in the bottom and of course they are not located where I needed them for air vents. To fix this I put some duct tape over the holes on the outside of the pot and turned the pots over. I then filled the holes with a “driveway patch” (powder that you mix with water) that I got at Ace Hardware. I don’t remember the name but I believe it was red and white box. It stated on the box that is was safe for high temperatures and was “non toxic”… I gota admit I had to wonder why in the hell a driveway patch would need to be non-toxic?!? Huh… GREAT, just what I need for the job. Here is a picture of the inside of the bottom pot where you can see the patched holes and re-drilled air holes.
sa_mokin.ipower.com_IMG_0742QS.JPG

After the patch dried I drilled a hole in the middle of the bottom of each pot to use to attach the air intake covers. I just went out to Weber’s website and ordered a couple of their aluminum replacement air adjustment covers for about $3-$4 each. Once I had the hole drilled in the center of the pots I put a screw through the Weber air adjustment cover and marked on the pots where I needed to drill my air holes to match the cover. Ceramic can be tough to drill but I found these little bits at Home Depot that looked like a tear drop of metal on a shank and they were labeled for Tile and Ceramic. Once I got a small hole drilled with this bit then I would take a larger masonary bit and drill the holes the size I wanted for the air intakes. Once the holes were all drilled, I painted the unglazed bottoms of the pots with a high heat bbq paint.

The next part can be bypassed by simply making the top pot lift off of the bottom pot, but I wanted mine connected so I fashioned a hinge. I could do this only because I have access to a small welder to build the hinge with. I fashioned some metal bands to go around the pots by using some soft carbon steel flat bar ( 1 in wide, 10 ga thick, 3 ft long) Here is a side view drawing of the hinge I made for mine. (I also made a second ring for the bottom to make the stand out of.)
sa_mokin.ipower.com_Hinge.JPG

sa_mokin.ipower.com_IMG_0739QS.JPG

To help keep the smoker air tight, I used some high temp silicon caulk to apply a piece of braded fiberglass to the rim of the top pot. You could also use a piece of wood stove door rope to do the same thing.

At this point, the smoker is basically done. You can add a thermometer and handle if you like. I use a small stainless steel vegetable steamer basket for a charcoal basket, the just above the charcoal I have a grill that I put a heat deflector on (I use a pie pan for this). I just happened to have a set of small round cooking grates that I kept from an old throw away grill setup I had years ago that were the perfect fit. You could also easily make a grate from a small piece of expanded steel or steel mesh.
sa_mokin.ipower.com_IMG_0744QS.JPG

I can put about 20-25 briquettes in the bottom of this thing with 3 dice size pieces of hickory, put a side of baby back on and without fail they will be fall off the bone tender in 3 hours. I normally don't even look at them after I put them on until about 20 minutes before they are done and that's to add a nice coat of sauce to glaze on before then come off. Good Stuff brother!

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SAMs may be carrying them, but purchasing from SAMs will void the warranty as it is not an authorized dealer. Just be aware.

I am confused, if they are selling them, how can they not be an authorized dealer? They are not a reseller, or an individual? Do you have any reference for this claim?

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might be one of those deals where a dealer is selling them "in" Sams. If it is in fact a Sam's product I am sure they figured out a way for it to carry the warranty. People that pay that much for a grill would demand it I'm sure.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not a Roadshow, it is a Sam's stocked item. They are shipping out of their warehouses. I am in Sam's every day, it is not a Vendor, or what they call Roadshow. Not trying to atagonize, just didn't know if they called the company and got this info, or if they were just speculating. The price is pretty good, $800 - $900

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not a Roadshow, it is a Sam's stocked item. They are shipping out of their warehouses. I am in Sam's every day, it is not a Vendor, or what they call Roadshow. Not trying to atagonize, just didn't know if they called the company and got this info, or if they were just speculating. The price is pretty good, $800 - $900

Is that $800 - $900 price for the large egg or the XL? Everything BBQ sells the large for $749 and the XL for $1049. We just picked up our XL 3 weeks ago from them. I love it too! Glad i got the big one now. I cook a lot of veggies and and fruits when I grill so the extra size was worth it. I've never been a fan of hotdogs and neither were my inlaws until we tried some Nathan's on the Egg. Now we actually enjoy eating them. It just adds that extra flavor. The main thing that sold me on it, is that EVERYTHING that's been cooked on it has been extra juicy and tender. I thought my commercial gas grill did good but the BGE puts it to shame. I wouldn't trade my egg for anything.

Now I gotta decide if I'm going to keep the Cookshack or sell it.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that $800 - $900 price for the large egg or the XL? Everything BBQ sells the large for $749 and the XL for $1049. We just picked up our XL 3 weeks ago from them. I love it too! Glad i got the big one now. I cook a lot of veggies and and fruits when I grill so the extra size was worth it. I've never been a fan of hotdogs and neither were my inlaws until we tried some Nathan's on the Egg. Now we actually enjoy eating them. It just adds that extra flavor. The main thing that sold me on it, is that EVERYTHING that's been cooked on it has been extra juicy and tender. I thought my commercial gas grill did good but the BGE puts it to shame. I wouldn't trade my egg for anything.

Now I gotta decide if I'm going to keep the Cookshack or sell it.

Not sure, I thought it was the XL, but not 100%. I saw it was $899.99 at Sam's. I am in Tulsa, is Everything BBQ a OKC store or is it online? I really want one, and am thinking seriously about picking one up. Have you smoked anything on it yet? I don't have a smoker, and that part really appeals to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom