Bowling Pin Targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently acquired 10 pins and would like some ideas to put them to use. Would like to make some targets, make the bowling pin spin, sway etc. How do pins hold up over time? Ok to shoot with rifles? Do they hold up to being left outside? Can you drill through them with a cordless drill? Thinking about drilling two of them through and putting a piece of steel through it and welding it to two t posts and just leaving them out on the range.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot a lot of pins over the years, they are pretty tough but will get shot out. If you are using a centerfire handgun or rifle don't expect them to last more than 50 to 100 rounds.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen pins get loaded pretty full of lower velocity pistol bullets, such as .45 ACP's. They are fun to shoot.

Once the pins are ready to go away, do not burn them inside a home fireplace or other closed location. The plastic coating is toxic when burned.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got some I've had for awhile now.
I haven't shot them much myself.
The kids and g'kids have shot the heck out of them.
Mostly 22lr by the g'kids, but the kids have shot a bunch of centerfire at them also.
To the best of my knowledge no high powered stuff like 7 mag or anything.

I bought them to shoot at, and that's what they've done.
I've got a rest they set them up on, but other than that nothing fancy.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this really a problem? People really try this?

Sometimes people do things they don't know are hazardous. The readers of this thread now know of a potential bad outcome that may be avoided.

When there was a bowling alley on nearly every corner, the used-up pins were a "please take them away" item to the alley proprietors. The used-up pins were prevalent. With fewer places to bowl, the used-up pins often are sold for a few bucks a box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom