Bringing firearm to work consequences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought there was a question on your application for employment, "May we contact your former employer?" they had to abide by.

Who would know if they did and your former blackballed you?

Dude - things have changed so much in the last couple decades.

Usually a potential employer will contact former employer and get:

"Yes, John Doe was employed here from 11/15/2001 until 10/07/2013."

And that's it. Former employers can be sued for harming employee by sharing info. And employers are 100% cowards when it comes to lawsuits.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I used to work in a very non permissive environment. You take a chance on getting fired and in some cases, prosecuted. You weigh the odds and you make a decision. If you’re fired for carrying a gun you can bet any future references given by that employer will include the reasons why.

On a couple of occasions when I knew I was going to be issuing discipline to a problem employee I might have taken the proper precautions. There are several deep concealment methods for anyone deciding to carry where getting caught has serious consequences. Check out Primary and Secondary on YouTube for some interesting discussions about deep concealed carry.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the most intrusive question a potential employer will ask a former employer is something along the lines of, "Is this person eligible for re-employment with your company?"

This thread reminds me...

**I LOVE BEING RETIRED!**
Ditto!

I also find myself glad that I'm old. Sad as it is I would not want to be young growing up in this world.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto!

I also find myself glad that I'm old. Sad as it is I would not want to be young growing up in this world.

I'm only 61 and I've been retired for a little over 3 years. I've never been bored and never wanted for anything to do. Hell...remodeling this house has got me to thinking I need to go back to work so I can get some time off.

Aside from some back issues from the Desert Storm days I'm fairly healthy and feel very young at heart. I know some guys just wanna work till they die and always have to be doing something. I'm not one of them.

The only thing I miss about work is the paychecks. Retirement don't pay worth a damn. But the benefits can't be beat.

And I don't have to worry about things like the topic of this thread...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the CC class I took probably 10 years or so ago, the instructors said it was illegal to fire you carrying so long as you were doing so legally, so state law prohibited firing a licensed person for carrying a concealed weapon. (I never verified that, but that's what they said)

But they also pointed out that Oklahoma is an "at will" state, so you can be fired "for any reason, or no reason at all".

So the irony they pointed out was that you couldn't be fired for legally carrying a concealed weapon, but you could be fired for insubordination for disobeying the policy against legally carrying a concealed weapon.

The SDA has changed at least twice since then... Again, I don't know if it was true even then, but that's what they said. It was interesting enough to remember.

Latest posts

Top Bottom