Bringing firearm to work consequences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like someone else mentioned, they could get you for insubordination.
I work all over and carry, just follow the law and don’t carry where you are not supposed ie: military bases, Govt buildings, libraries, etc…
As far as the company don’t ask, don’t tell.
I worked with a guy that carried EVERYWHERE, even the places I listed that will get your butt in jail he didn’t care. I’m not taking any chances so I follow the law. 100% of the people I visit do not know and will never know unless I had to use it, basically keep it concealed well.
I also have other customers that have “no gun”signs posted but they have multiple handguns for employees stashed around the offices just in case. I still would never admit I am carrying even if they are gun friendly there’s always a Karen that will get you fired.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only 61 and I've been retired for a little over 3 years. I've never been bored and never wanted for anything to do. Hell...remodeling this house has got me to thinking I need to go back to work so I can get some time off.

Aside from some back issues from the Desert Storm days I'm fairly healthy and feel very young at heart. I know some guys just wanna work till they die and always have to be doing something. I'm not one of them.

The only thing I miss about work is the paychecks. Retirement don't pay worth a damn. But the benefits can't be beat.

And I don't have to worry about things like the topic of this thread...
I've been fully retired (I worked part-time for awhile and at my discretion) for going on five years now, but I've got a few years on ya and I was older when I finally said I was done. Besides the paychecks I miss the camaraderie we had in law enforcement. That said I do NOT miss the politics or what the job is becoming. In all honesty, as much as I loved it, I don't think I would go into it the way things are now. I also find that I have a very hard time recommending it as a career when I'm asked. That was never the case a few years ago.

"Young at heart" lol. I feel that way too, that is until I hurt myself and realize it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover now compared to when I was young.

Last edited:

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyone, it seems that there has been two major shootings, one in Taft during the festival and the other at St. Francis hospital yesterday at downtown Tulsa. With people dead and or injured. It’s getting closer to home…makes me think if my workplace is next for “open season” for crazy folks…just saying…got a bad feeling…

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been fully retired (I worked part-time for awhile and at my discretion) for going on five years now, but I've got a few years on ya and I was older when I finally said I was done. Besides the paychecks I miss the camaraderie we had in law enforcement. That said I do NOT miss the politics or what the job is becoming. In all honesty, as much as I loved it, I don't think I would go into it the way things are now. I also find that I have a very hard time recommending it as a career when I'm asked. That was never the case a few years ago.

"Young at heart" lol. I feel that way too, that is until I hurt myself and realize it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover now compared to when I was young.
I am encouraged though when I see multiple threads on LEO sites in reference to hiring policies, and questions. Officer.com has the most activity on hiring.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude - things have changed so much in the last couple decades.
No kidding. There were a lot of things I could do at the start of my career that were no-nos even a decade into it, let alone when I retired. About half-way through, we weren't even allowed to confirm employment--it had to go through HR to make sure everything was in compliance with statutes, regulations, and policies, thereby keeping the organization away from expensive lawsuits.

That said, if you work in a small community, word can get around. I've informally talked to people I know to get the skinny on a prospective employee (fortunately, it always worked out in the employee's favor), and I've received discrete inquiries from colleagues, so you probably ought to take that into consideration.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it go on your record if your employer fires you for bringing in a firearm? Will it go on your record? Will it impact your future applications to getting hire on another job or career?
Think of the job history check conversation....
Are they eligible for rehire? No, they brought a gun to work.
Well everyone, it seems that there has been two major shootings, one in Taft during the festival and the other at St. Francis hospital yesterday at downtown Tulsa. With people dead and or injured. It’s getting closer to home…makes me think if my workplace is next for “open season” for crazy folks…just saying…got a bad feeling…
If you feel that way about your work place... maybe you should look elsewhere and rather quickly.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son appendix carry's a 365 xl or a LCR357 and if I did not know I would have no idea. He is of medium build. If you have a mouse gun they make a t-shirt that lets you carry it under your arm , again no one the wiser.
There are all sorts of options , including ankle holsters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude - things have changed so much in the last couple decades.

Usually a potential employer will contact former employer and get:

"Yes, John Doe was employed here from 11/15/2001 until 10/07/2013."

And that's it. Former employers can be sued for harming employee by sharing info. And employers are 100% cowards when it comes to lawsuits.
My wife worked a short time in HR. Your comments are correct according to the law currently in place in Oklahoma. Verification of employment was the only official thing that could be asked, but, HR's have developed a little lingo between them. They may casually ask would you hire Joe Blow again? If the answer is no, that means the employee left on bad terms and is a signal to the new employer that the applicant may not be the person they want.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding. There were a lot of things I could do at the start of my career that were no-nos even a decade into it, let alone when I retired. About half-way through, we weren't even allowed to confirm employment--it had to go through HR to make sure everything was in compliance with statutes, regulations, and policies, thereby keeping the organization away from expensive lawsuits.

That said, if you work in a small community, word can get around. I've informally talked to people I know to get the skinny on a prospective employee (fortunately, it always worked out in the employee's favor), and I've received discrete inquiries from colleagues, so you probably ought to take that into consideration.
That's how it works in my industry. I would say at least 75% of us are no more than one degree removed from anyone else. If we discuss anything about prior employees/coworkers, it is either in person or on the phone. If a person is screening someone that doesnt get great reviews, it normally triggers a conversation about a superstar that may be open to changing hard hats. We rotate around like used car salesmen. Always active in the community, but no telling which logo will be on our shirt while we are there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom