Burgers and fries...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite burger is from my own grill.
Ground brisket, caramelized purple onion, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, pickle, Miracle Whip.

About 40 years, son and I had gone fishing for the weekend. He was 8-9 yo.
Headed into the campground, we passed an OLD trailer house, had a hand painted, plywood sign "BURGERS & LIQUOR".

Time we got camp set, I said, "let's go get a burger."

Pulled up to the trailer and felt like Tarzan. Line at the back window of trailer. Walked up and asked about burgers. Barely 20 yo looking guy points to front window.

We walked to front of trailer, kitchen. Aunt Jemima (late 40s, about 400#) opens window. Ask for 2 burgers and fries. She sets a beat up skillet on stove. Opens fridge, grabs a handful of meat out of a bowl. Then a handful of chopped onions and red bell pepper from another bowl. Mashes it into the meat, forms 2 patties and drops into the sizzling skillet.

Turned to son, "boy, you are getting a genuine ghetto burger, tonight."

She put the burgers and fries into a brown paper sack. Sack was soaked and dripping grease before we could get to truck.

Remember that as one of the best burgers I have ever had.
Son is 47 and when he grills burgers, he chops onions and bell peppers to mix into the meat before cooking.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I were eating deer burgers for many years because we just did not buy ground cow from the store.
I came home one day and the air smelled odd and dinner was burgers.
Wife said you are not going to like it.
WHY? I asked.

She said I got lazy and went to the store and bought ground meat to make burgers because I did not want to thaw the deer meat out.

She said it tastes like a cows hind end smells.
She then said you need to make darn sure that we do not ever run out of deer meat.

OH that was 20 years ago.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED, if you are ever near Yukon, OK stop in at Sid's Onion Burger joint....You can thank me later...lol...The choices you listed are all good as well. I'm with you that it's hard to make a bad burger...
Unfortunately the one in Yukon closed after a drug bust there. Have to drive 15 miles west to El Reno for the original Sid’s

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a quick hack especially for those making 'game' burgers. My preference is elk or buffalo.

Par cook a slice of bacon or two for each burger patty. Put half cooked bacon along with grease in a food processor. Chop/grind a couple of times until the consistency of the burger. Mix the chopped up bacon with the burger meat then cook like usual. The bacon fat will keep the game meat from drying out.

Braum's used to have the best burgers but over the years I think the meat they're using has changed and not for the better. The Garage has some good burgers but I don't like the small fries - prefer bigger, square cut with skin on and double fried.

But, as stated above, I too can grill a burger as well as any establishment. Really like carmelized onions with gruyere cheese, real Mayo, lettuce and spicy dill pickles.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best burgers ever were at Coleman's in Okmulgee ! I'm so sad they closed it and tore it down. Great pies also. I would always stop there to and from Tulsa but I don't make that drive anymore since all of my family that lived there for the last 75 years have now passed away. But I still remember the burgers we would get there.

I remember Colemans, right on 75. When I was a kid, we lived in Claremore. We would go visit my dad's folks in Holdenville about once a month. Colemans was a habitual stop. Best onion rings I ever had! :heart:

Latest posts

Top Bottom