Car will not start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turn your steering wheel a little and make sure it's lock.
Exact symptom my MIL had when the steering wheel was locked when pulling into a parking lot a little crooked. When we got to her, all it took was pulling the steering wheel a little bit on one direction and it started right up.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pop your battery cables off and clean them and the posts. Headlights and dome light have nothing to do with the ignition switch or steering wheel.
Unless the battery is flat dead. Then nothing works. Though cleaning the terminals & posts cannot hurt. A set of jumper cables might come in handy if the battery is dead, but you may need to pull the battery and have it tested.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless the battery is flat dead. Then nothing works. Though cleaning the terminals & posts cannot hurt. A set of jumper cables might come in handy if the battery is dead, but you may need to pull the battery and have it tested.
He's already said he's got voltage. I know that with a dead battery lights don't works lol.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's already said he's got voltage. I know that with a dead battery lights works lol.
His post #17 says otherwise. "Guys I cleaned the cables first thing, no Joy. Nothing is coming on inside or out. No click, no dash lights, nada." That's what you call "key information" right there! ;)

Sometimes having the battery charged will fix it, if the terminals are all clean, and sometimes you wind up replacing the battery.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
His post #17 says otherwise. "Guys I cleaned the cables first thing, no Joy. Nothing is coming on inside or out. No click, no dash lights, nada." That's what you call "key information" right there! ;)

Sometimes having the battery charged will fix it, if the terminals are all clean, and sometimes you wind up replacing the battery.
First post, "battery seems good". Headlights and dome light don't require the key.........

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First post, "battery seems good". Headlights and dome light don't require the key.........
didn't say the headlights and dome lights are good, didn't even mention them. Did say no click, May have implied that, but sounds like he's reporting visual inspection. And post 17 says specifically no lights. I've been mechanicing since I was about 15, and seriously since I was 18. I'm 68 now. Got a few hours in at this stuff. No lights generally means no connection, or no charge on the battery. Lead-Acid battery, Nickle-Cadmium, NiFe, carbon-zinc, or any variety of lithium cell, makes no difference. Bit of a drain, from anything, and over a fairly short period can absolutely kill a battery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom