Carnivore Diet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank5366

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another person to add to THAT Gurl's lost is Kelly Hogan. She's been carnivore for 13 years. Great story on how and why she started. She has lots of YouTube videos.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you measure ketones?

I've never done carnivore but have done keto several times to drop some weight. On keto, you can get too much protein vs fat and get thrown out of ketosis. I wonder how that will work on carnivore?

You know, I don't know. That Dr. Boz chick is a big proponent of measuring both ketones and blood glucose levels. I've been trying to decide if I wanna fool with it since I don't seem to be having any issues losing weight right now. 🤷

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
☺I need to shed some weight and haven't watched the videos yet but I'm going to.

It would seem like to me that if a person cut out veggies all together and just ate meat that constipation would be a problem......veggies = fiber / roughage = good bowel movements, right ?

It hasn't really worked that way for me ... I've been ... Ahem ... Well ... Things are working better, and without "prompting" for the first time in my whole life. :teehee::lookaroun:blush: I had a doctor tell me once that I was lying to him when I told him I only went #2 once a week. :uhh::scratch: I'm sorry ... But who LIES about something like that??!?! :anyone::grumble:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This differs how from the Adkins diet of approx 20 years ago? All the meat and cheese you can eat, skip everything else? My mom forced me onto that diet but put limitations on the intake so I was pretty damn miserable and hongry all the time

Adkins advocated some veggies IIRC ... PLUS all the "Adkins Approved" science projects they were passing off as food. I don't recall it being anywhere near what eating carnivore is ... But I have slept since then so ... 🤷

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the meat only reason why you lose weight, or is it because youre not taking in any sugar, sweeteners, or alcohol?

I'm not sure. I have tried "balanced" plans like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig in the past and always felt like I was starving, no matter how much veggies I ate. Eventually I would just cave ... Plus I NEVER and I mean NEVER lost more than 20 pounds doing any kind of diet. Doctors kept telling me it was my body's natural "set point". Ehhhh ... I dunno now ...

What led me to carnivore was the Whole 30 elimination diet. Every time I would add a fruit or vegetable back in my stomach problems would start back up. And my headaches would get worse (like I need THAT lol).

I have had sardines twice in the last 2 days. Yesterday after I ate I had some indigestion. This morning I woke up with HORRIBLE heartburn. 🤷 I ate a dozen TUMS if I ate one while we were at the gun range.

Had a ribeye with butter on it at lunch and ... And my heartburn went away. So ... No more sardines for me.

I'll eat beef once or twice a day for a few days and then try adding something else back in and see how it goes.

So far I have been able to eat beef, pork (ham and pork chops are okay; bacon is okay as long as it's not every day -- more like every 3rd or 4th), chicken eggs, salmon and chicken, heavy cream, cream cheese and butter without problems. Most cheeses are okay if I only eat them once a week or so. More than that and I get heartburn.

Everything else I've tried to add back has given me trouble. But I'll keep trying ... If for no other reason than I like cherry cheesecake. 🤷😇

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I just noticed on keto that the ketone numbers would drop when getting too many calories from lean protein vs fat. Just curious how that would work on carnivore. Are you trying to get a certain portion of calories from fat?

No, but then I'm not shying away from eating fat either. No vegetable or seed oils though. I just talked to the butcher at the store about getting some beef fat so I can render my own tallow. We'll see how that goes ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom