CCW and still can't carry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jav8r

Marksman
Reaction score
Turned paperwork in mid July and OSBI just ran my cc this week, so hopefully soon will have mine, but still will not be able to carry weekdays.
I work at a federal campus and go through guard gates everyday. So my handgun will have to stay at home.
When I get off I am not going to go all the way home before continuing on my way.
Anyone else having to keep theirs at home because of where they work?

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I work for the fed and have to go through guards as well. There's a process to make it A-ok for me to leave it in my car at work(not exactly in a public access parking lot, they can't get to it). Just have to do a bunch of paperwork.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I work for the fed and have to go through guards as well. There's a process to make it A-ok for me to leave it in my car at work(not exactly in a public access parking lot, they can't get to it). Just have to do a bunch of paperwork.

Really? I work in one of them places too but never heard of paperwork. Last I read they don't allow anywhere on Federally controlled property including parking lots. Even the visitor's parking lot by the main gate is off limits.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My employers policy is "no weapons". Since I pass through a gate with a guard shack, the law will not allow me to keep my carry in my vehicle. Even if I could, I'm considered an "at will" employee and my employer can dismiss me for no reason.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My employers policy is "no weapons". Since I pass through a gate with a guard shack, the law will not allow me to keep my carry in my vehicle. Even if I could, I'm considered an "at will" employee and my employer can dismiss me for no reason.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438587

A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked motor vehicle, or from transporting and storing firearms locked in or locked to a motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be liable in any civil action for occurrences which result from the storing of firearms in a locked motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle, unless the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or owner of the business entity commits a criminal act involving the use of the firearms. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Act.

C. An individual may bring a civil action to enforce this section. If a plaintiff prevails in a civil action related to the personnel manual against a person, property owner, tenant, employer or business for a violation of this section, the court shall award actual damages, enjoin further violations of this section, and award court costs and attorney fees to the prevailing plaintiff.

D. As used in this section, "motor vehicle" means any automobile, truck, minivan, sports utility vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, and any other vehicle required to be registered under the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act.

So, unless your employer is federal like the other guys', or if it is specified in the list of prohibited places, you're clear. If it is a state prison, then you can still have your weapon in the car as long as no prisoners are located in the parking lot. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=441491

As for the part about "at will" employment, there are quite a few restrictions on what you can be terminated for. Sitting in a meeting with a bunch of HR people and a lawyer discussing that topic can be pretty eye opening.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I work in one of them places too but never heard of paperwork. Last I read they don't allow anywhere on Federally controlled property including parking lots. Even the visitor's parking lot by the main gate is off limits.

Depends on what places you're talking about. I'm being purposely vague. Not that someone wanting to know where I work couldn't do some searches on my posts, but I'm not going to come out right and say where I am employed. With a certain person's approval, I can leave a firearm in my vehicle at work. There are rules to how it's SITTING in the car, but that's not a big deal honestly.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MMAC. No firearms policy. Heck just having a pocket knife could be an issue. Stupid policy if you ask me but then I don't make the rules. I understand that the TAFB has some exceptions but DOD is a very different animal than civil public. If there is some way for public servants (non-military) to get an exception I would sure like to know about it. I drive a long way to work and have broken down a few times - in the dark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom