CCW and still can't carry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MMAC. No firearms policy. Heck just having a pocket knife could be an issue. Stupid policy if you ask me but then I don't make the rules. I understand that the TAFB has some exceptions but DOD is a very different animal than civil public. If there is some way for public servants (non-military) to get an exception I would sure like to know about it. I drive a long way to work and have broken down a few times - in the dark.

My workplace falls under a similar type of place. I just have to do a bunch of paperwork and interview with someone, etc etc. Part of town isn't GREAT near work, but isn't terrible. Better safe than sorry, honestly.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438587

A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked motor vehicle, or from transporting and storing firearms locked in or locked to a motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be liable in any civil action for occurrences which result from the storing of firearms in a locked motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle, unless the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or owner of the business entity commits a criminal act involving the use of the firearms. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Act.

C. An individual may bring a civil action to enforce this section. If a plaintiff prevails in a civil action related to the personnel manual against a person, property owner, tenant, employer or business for a violation of this section, the court shall award actual damages, enjoin further violations of this section, and award court costs and attorney fees to the prevailing plaintiff.

D. As used in this section, "motor vehicle" means any automobile, truck, minivan, sports utility vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, and any other vehicle required to be registered under the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act.

So, unless your employer is federal like the other guys', or if it is specified in the list of prohibited places, you're clear. If it is a state prison, then you can still have your weapon in the car as long as no prisoners are located in the parking lot. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=441491

As for the part about "at will" employment, there are quite a few restrictions on what you can be terminated for. Sitting in a meeting with a bunch of HR people and a lawyer discussing that topic can be pretty eye opening.

Thank you for the post.

I thought I read once that the parking lot part of the law stated that it had to be "public access lots" and therefore parking lots where the entrance was controlled by guard access did not apply. Maybe it was an early version or someone's thinking of what it said.

As for "at will" employment, I wouldn't want to put this to a test. I'm sure my employer could just say "we no longer have work for you" and I would be gone. A court battle could take many years because they have plenty of resourses.

jav8r

Marksman
Reaction score
Yes at MMAC you cannot have one in your car. The security guy did say if it was in visitor parking it was not subject to search but if it were me and I worked there I wouldn't chance it.
If there was a way I would like to know as well, but I doubt it. :(

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes at MMAC you cannot have one in your car. The security guy did say if it was in visitor parking it was not subject to search but if it were me and I worked there I wouldn't chance it.
If there was a way I would like to know as well, but I doubt it. :(

Maybe I should consider parking there anyway - my fat rear could use the exercise. They don't have sidewalks from the visitor's center to anywhere on site which sucks as I have had to make that walk a couple of time last year when I broke down and had to beg for a ride in. Happy to have a job but don't like not being having the capacity for carry on the way to and from. Someone should change that rule. Doubtful that will ever happen though.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just talked with a co-worker of mine who is also a CCW instructor. He has talked with our employer who said they woud follow the law. BUT, neither one of us really wants to try and find out.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just talked with a co-worker of mine who is also a CCW instructor. He has talked with our employer who said they woud follow the law. BUT, neither one of us really wants to try and find out.

I think the rules preempt state in this instance but I am no lawyer. I would like to find out from someone in charge and would like it in writing but there is pretty much no chance of that I think unless the union or someone in authority gets involved. Might still be worth the effort to push it. Since OKCPD is still the local authority on campus I would think that local/state statutes apply in this regard. There are many of us that would like to know - at least 4 in my group alone.

jav8r

Marksman
Reaction score
I think the rules preempt state in this instance but I am no lawyer. I would like to find out from someone in charge and would like it in writing but there is pretty much no chance of that I think unless the union or someone in authority gets involved. Might still be worth the effort to push it. Since OKCPD is still the local authority on campus I would think that local/state statutes apply in this regard. There are many of us that would like to know - at least 4 in my group alone.

Same here, 4 out of 5 office. The atty who taught the ccw course said he knew there have been some who had or were trying, but nothing had come from it.*
He also said, but I have no facts to back it up, that all of the last shooting/killing incidences had taken place at organizations with handgun bans and the one in Texas at the military base took place in an area where guns were not allowed. Making it pretty safe for the shooters.*
Like you I would like to see this changed, but I doubt it will. At least be able to get approval to keep them locked in our cars.*

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The regs for the center mention Title 18. Title 18 has exceptions. Please read and pay attention to section (d). Note the "other legal purposes" part. There is no case law that could be found. Again it could still cost a job but then again the law appears to make room for it. I am gonna hit up the union about it.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom