Check your lug nuts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wojownik

Marksman
Reaction score
The problem I see with the shops using an impact and then a torque wrench is if a lug nut torques to 120 ft lbs, most impacts go way above that. A decent cordless 3/8" impact will go 200-300 ft lbs, much less a 1/2" drive tool. The torque wrench will "click" every time LOL. It definitely assures they're not left loose, but overtorquing breaks a lot of wheel studs.
That why I mentioned torque sticks. Torque sticks used with an impact helps to mitigate over torque. Of course you have to use uncommon sense and not keep hammering down on them, but they do help in preventing unintentional over torque.

I’m glad to hear there are several locations doing the right thing. Sometimes it’s hard to know for sure without actually watching the technician perform the work.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm to the point I'm not gonna rotate a set of 33" off road tires. It's just too much back-breaking work. What I will do when I get home is get out my shop stool and the torque wrench to properly retorque them. I'd tip $20 to have them done right the first time, but they usually won't let you into the shop to watch them do it, so I'd still have to re-check them when I got home. :(

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm to the point I'm not gonna rotate a set of 33" off road tires. It's just too much back-breaking work. What I will do when I get home is get out my shop stool and the torque wrench to properly retorque them. I'd tip $20 to have them done right the first time, but they usually won't let you into the shop to watch them do it, so I'd still have to re-check them when I got home. :(
I watch from the window in the waiting room at Discount if my truck is within view. If it isnt I'll stand outside the overhead door where I can see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom