CMMG .22lr Conversion Kit for AR-15 Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was getting tired of shooting Rusty's rifle each month at the Oil Capitol Steel Challenge Match (didn't mind shooting his ammo though!), so I decided to pick up the CMMG conversion kit (stainless version) from CDNN Investments. They had a deal going for the conversion kit plus two mags for $189.

First, CDNN is really on the ball! They shipped my order the very next day after ordering. I received it two days later.

Rusty and I headed over to H&H Monday night with a couple of boxes of the Remington 550 bulk pack golden .22 bullets. I couldn't wait to try out this new toy! I am truly impressed! I had a couple of malfunctions within the first two magazines. After that, I had ZERO malfunctions for the next 200-300 rounds. My grouping at 30 yards was VERY acceptable (for my limited shooting abilities).

I highly recommend this for someone that is looking for more trigger time with their AR-15.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
couldn't agree more. i got mine a few months back and have nothing but good things to say about it. it's absolutely the best deal for the conversion kits. i'm going to run as many rounds through it as possible this summer and see how she does. i'm really going to have to give you a visit one of these days so i can get some .40 bullets...one of these days.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it uses the buffer of the rifle. Believe it recoils within itself (the bolt) and yes mag swap.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you have to put in lighter buffer springs? or was it just a bolt clip swap?

Buffer isn't even ever used - comes with a BCG replacement (with a .223/.22lr chamber adapter at the end of it) and a couple of mags.

Did you get the CMMG mags or the Black Dog? I've heard good things about the stainless and nickel plated kits - mine took a bit of breaking-in to get it going smoothly but I love it.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buffer isn't even ever used - comes with a BCG replacement (with a .223/.22lr chamber adapter at the end of it) and a couple of mags.

Did you get the CMMG mags or the Black Dog? I've heard good things about the stainless and nickel plated kits - mine took a bit of breaking-in to get it going smoothly but I love it.

I also read some good reviews of the stainless kits and was the primary reason I bought this one instead of the Ciener kit. Mine came with the CMMG mags. I have also heard good things about the Black Dog mags. However, mine ran flawlessly after 50 rounds fired so I will stick with the CMMG mags. I truly am impressed with this kit.

Basically, it is just a BCG and mag swap as was stated by the other posters. It does not use the buffer or spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom