College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this already.

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1684.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not yet in the “get rid of Seth” camp. There just isn’t the O-line that they have had in recent years, and two QBs with very little experience. It’s going to be a tough year, but probably not a good idea to make major coaching changes.
The offense is a mess, no doubt, but the injuries are certainly not helping matters. Seth has shown that he will make changes, but it’s hard to tell what he can do when he can’t get a healthy group of starters to execute his offense. They should have depth, but when you’re missing your top six receivers, you’re basically running third string players in the patterns, and that’s not going to cut it against first string defenders at a major program.

We’ll have to see what he can do when he’s not trying to patch together personnel get 11 men on the field.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The offense is a mess, no doubt, but the injuries are certainly not helping matters. Seth has shown that he will make changes, but it’s hard to tell what he can do when he can’t get a healthy group of starters to execute his offense. They should have depth, but when you’re missing your top six receivers, you’re basically running third string players in the patterns, and that’s not going to cut it against first string defenders at a major program.

We’ll have to see what he can do when he’s not trying to patch together personnel get 11 men on the field.
Totally agree and OU didn’t have one player on the field that has ever played in the Red River Rivalry game before. That’s how young and new these players are. I really thought that Seth had made some good changes at the beginning of the game. He had Hawkins pulling out the pocket to the left a lot. That gave him some chance to run or throw the ball. I thought that was different from the Auburn game. But the OL just couldn’t keep Texas contained.
Like I said before, I really thought that we had a chance after the 1st quarter but those turnovers took all of the air out of the team. And when your punter has more punts in the game than you have points, That ain’t good.
I love my Sooners but the rest of the season is not looking to good for them. Fingers crossed that they can get something pulled together quick.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just an observation. Chuck Knoll, Bill Belichick and Tom Landry are the only former D coordinators to become legit head coaches, at any level that i can think of off hand or know of off hand. All of the high school programs I've been around throughout the years that had a coaching staff with college playing and even NFL experience, but played on the defensive side of the ball only, the high school teams they were coaching lacked on the offensive side of the ball. Lacking in playing calling, player utilization, etc. Great defense, but couldn't put up a lot of points or sometimes not any. Pretty one dimensionional usually. Anyone think of any successful college level head coaches who were once D coordinators?

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an observation. Chuck Knoll, Bill Belichick and Tom Landry are the only former D coordinators to become legit head coaches, at any level that i can think of off hand or know of off hand. All of the high school programs I've been around throughout the years that had a coaching staff with college playing and even NFL experience, but played on the defensive side of the ball only, the high school teams they were coaching lacked on the offensive side of the ball. Lacking in playing calling, player utilization, etc. Great defense, but couldn't put up a lot of points or sometimes not any. Pretty one dimensionional usually. Anyone think of any successful college level head coaches who were once D coordinators?
Here are some I found but not sure how successful they are as college head coaches.

Some college head coaches who were previously defensive coordinators include:

• 1728962753536.jpeg

Jeremy Pruitt
    Pruitt was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach for the University of Alabama in 2016 and 2017. During his time there, the Crimson Tide led the nation in scoring defense, total defense, and rushing defense.

• 1728962753551.jpeg

Jesse Minter
    Minter was the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Vanderbilt University in 2021. Before that, he worked for the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL for four seasons.

• 1728962753563.jpeg

John Chavis
    Chavis was the defensive coordinator at Alabama A&M, where he led the defense to the best defensive record in the nation.

• 1728962753574.jpeg

Bob Shoop
    Shoop was the National Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2014. He has also served as a defensive coordinator at Tennessee, Penn State, and Vanderbilt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom