Concealed carry: a police officer's perspective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will never touch my gun during an official LEO contact. If they want it they can get it themselves.

^ This. I will never touch or reach for my weapon while talking with a LEO. I will politely inform him that I am not giving him my firearm. If he wants to take it off of me, I will not stop him, but I will likely be having a conversation with his superior about the incident.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to see what a modded Subaru can do, hit me up sometime and we'll go for a ride.

Sweet! I'll probably do that this weekend. I was into turbo DSM cars when I was younger. Had a Talon with a few mods and it was fast. Not like the STI though. I've been reading about them and watching videos. It's shocking how much HP they can handle with a stock motor and drivetrain.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont be reaching for mine either. It is their right to disarm during a traffic stop if they feel necessary. I would not think a call to a superior is needed. I would gladly tell him where it is and tell him/her they were welcome to get it themselves but that I would not in any way shape or form handle my firearm during the stop for fear of any action potentially be interpreted as hostile.

My gun may be pointed at the officer while I remove it from the glove compartment even though holstered and trigger guard completely covered. It's a risk I would avoid because it is easy to do so.

I thought if not locked in a case the mag and pistol had to be in areas that both could not be reached from the driver seat for legal transport if not CCW. Maybe I am thinking of PA law.

Montesa, before you buy anything drive a :bowdown:Lancer Evolution. I've owned both and prefer the Evo.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread. Here's my copy and paste of situation where an okc cop disarms me and asks me to draw my weapon and hand it to him.

Almost a year ago, an OKC cop pulled me over. I told him I was CC'ing and had a permit. He nods and then explains to me that some officers don't disarm and some do. He says that he's pro CCL, but he's one of the officers that do.

He asks me if it's "hot" and I nod yes. He instructs me to pull it out of my IWB holster and to hand him the gun. Honestly, it threw me off and wasn't expecting this. He could tell that I was uncomfortable with this and assured me it's ok and to slowly hand him the loaded firearm.

I slowly raised my strong-side shirt and reveal my firearm and slowly pulled the firearm out by the farthest end of the grip possible. I then awkwardly handed him the firearm being careful to not point it at my legs or at him. He firmly gripped the gun away from me and walked back to his squad car.

Few minutes back, he gives me a warning and says that he supports people with CCL's and is only giving me a warning. He then hands me my firearm unloaded and my mag separately. Then he hands me my loose ammunition he unloaded from my mag separately and instructs me to not load my magazine with the ammo and ready the firearm until after his patrol car leaves.

To this day, it was one of the weirder contacts with an officer while carrying.

I'm pretty sure he also ran the numbers on my firearm to check if it was stolen. To this day, I still can't believe I was asked to draw a hot firearm and hand it to him. It opened me and him up to a world of possible liability. It would have been better if he had asked me to get out the vehicle with my hands on the hood and him disarm me himself. That way there's no "confusion" plus me drawing a firearm out just looks really bad on the dash cam.

Most OKC Metro police have been great and most don't ask to see it or care. I have no idea why this particular office chose to disarm me and run the numbers, but more specifically instructing me to actually draw a hot firearm out of my holster and handing it to him. Just seems illogical from a tactical standpoint and liability standpoint.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with people?? That officer is a douche ... And you guys are WAY too paranoid ... I've played with my guns with officers at stops before. Good grief ... as long as everybody's comfortable what's the big deal?? Keep everything pointed in a safe direction, no fingers on the triggers ... Why is everything so complicated these days? :giveup:

BTW, that's ONE officer's perspective. One wonders why he became a JBT in the first place ...

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Evos make INSANE amounts of power.

I don't think I'll be buying either. I would get pulled over as much as you guys! I have a friend named jenny that thought japanese cars were all crap and had no power. I had no idea there were people that still thought that. She is looking for a new car and doesn't know how to drive a five speed so I test drove the WRX for her. In first gear it was even a little disorienting for me because I haven't driven anything with any power in a long long time. She changed her mind just as quickly on japanese cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom