Concealed carry: a police officer's perspective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the officer is not getting my gun. i wont reach for it, and i will tell him about it if the need permits. im not going to get in a physical fight over him taking my gun, but if he takes it, im getting a lawyer. same goes for searching my car, not guna happen unless there is a reason

Last edited by a moderator:

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with people?? That officer is a douche ... And you guys are WAY too paranoid ... I've played with my guns with officers at stops before. Good grief ... as long as everybody's comfortable what's the big deal?? Keep everything pointed in a safe direction, no fingers on the triggers ... Why is everything so complicated these days? :giveup:

BTW, that's ONE officer's perspective. One wonders why he became a JBT in the first place ...

Talk about paranoid! I can't even touch the bullets until he's out of sight? If he ran my ID, ran the numbers on my gun, I'm obviously not a bad guy, why is he still worried about getting shot?

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the officer is not getting my gun. i wont reach for it, and i will tell him about it if the need permits. im not going to get in a physical fight over him taking my gun, but if he takes it, im getting a lawyer. same goes for searching my car, not guna happen unless there is a reason .

And you'd be right (about getting a lawyer, etc.).

Off another forum:

In OK, for example, an officer has NO right to disarm a lawful carrier unless he has reasonable suspicion that criminal activity is afoot. Our fine state has written in black letter law on an eight grade level.

From OK Statute 21-1290.8

E. Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed or unconcealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk about paranoid! I can't even touch the bullets until he's out of sight? If he ran my ID, ran the numbers on my gun, I'm obviously not a bad guy, why is he still worried about getting shot?

Well, as everyone is so quick to point out in other threads, those poor, poor JBTs are always putting themselves in harms way ... Maybe it has something to do with the caliber of people he has to be in contact with day in, day out ... :rolleyes2 Although I can freely admit that he could just have been a douche too.

You know, every criminal out there was a good guy once ... and even if they are the scum of the earth, they are getting their life turned around ... that is until the damned po-po just shot them for no good reason ... just ask their family. :rolleyes2

BTW, the OP makes it sound like this is every officer's perspective. Nothing could be further from the truth -- at least in my experience -- both before and after I became a JBT's wife ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh... Speeding=crime? Bit of a broad interpretation I believe and not in direct relation to the traffic stop but still could be a criminal act I suppose.

LOL ... you sound like you are a lawyer or something ... :wink2: As long as an officer can articulate that in his judgement a crime has been committed (wink, wink)

Bigmak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dahmer wasn't a bad guy until he got caught eating people.. BTK or any number of murders and really screwed up people were at one time law abiding citizens. I can see why the officer is being cautious . A little extreme in my opinion but there are bigger issues in life then a LEO unloading my pistol. Honestly if a LEO isn't being a jerk I won't be one. If he wants my gun I will gladly let him get it from my car my waistband or where ever I have it stowed. If I get pulled over I don't announce " I have a gun on me " I just hand them my CCL with my drivers license . I think a lot of people get geared up when they get pulled over and their mouths overload their brains and cause them more grief than need be.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez... That's just plain overkill IMHO... Out where I work cc is so common place I'm usually surprised when someone doesn't have a gun. I almost feel like I oughta offer them one of my extras till they get home!!
That approach would land me in the bosses office in a heartbeat..

Fog

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dahmer wasn't a bad guy until he got caught eating people.. BTK or any number of murders and really screwed up people were at one time law abiding citizens. I can see why the officer is being cautious . A little extreme in my opinion but there are bigger issues in life then a LEO unloading my pistol. Honestly if a LEO isn't being a jerk I won't be one. If he wants my gun I will gladly let him get it from my car my waistband or where ever I have it stowed. If I get pulled over I don't announce " I have a gun on me " I just hand them my CCL with my drivers license . I think a lot of people get geared up when they get pulled over and their mouths overload their brains and cause them more grief than need be.

I just dont see the point of after the stop is concluded and he hasn't arrested anyone to still treat that person like a potential threat that's gonna shoot him in the back. Honestly, if I'm a bad guy that just hasn't been caught yet and the cop is letting me go with just a ticket or a warning, why in the hell would I screw up getting away by shooting him after he lets me go? The guy just seems a bit Barney Fife to me. But like others have said, this guy doesn't speak for all LEOs.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread. Here's my copy and paste of situation where an okc cop disarms me and asks me to draw my weapon and hand it to him.

I'm pretty sure he also ran the numbers on my firearm to check if it was stolen. To this day, I still can't believe I was asked to draw a hot firearm and hand it to him. It opened me and him up to a world of possible liability. It would have been better if he had asked me to get out the vehicle with my hands on the hood and him disarm me himself. That way there's no "confusion" plus me drawing a firearm out just looks really bad on the dash cam.

Most OKC Metro police have been great and most don't ask to see it or care. I have no idea why this particular office chose to disarm me and run the numbers, but more specifically instructing me to actually draw a hot firearm out of my holster and handing it to him. Just seems illogical from a tactical standpoint and liability standpoint.

Sounds like that exact officer could have been the one that wrote the blog at the start of this thread. It is more dangerous to disarm a CCr than to just check that their permit is valid and call it good. Can you imagine how pissed you'd be if an officer was disarming you and shot a ND into your foot? Just check to make sure I'm a good guy (the fact that I would notify of the firearms presence should give a clue anyways) and keep the damn gun in the holster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom