concealed carry on school property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike101650

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find that this year, I will have to pick up my granddaughter at her public elementary school. Sometimes I am out and have my carry gun on. I have read the laws about this and am a little unsure how to intrepet them. I understand that I can drive onto the property if picking up or dropping off. The problem arises when I have to go to her class and get her. There is an outside door and as of yet, I have not had to go inside. The law allows me to leave my gun in the car as long as it is not unattended. My 2 part question is:

As long as the car is not out of my sight, is it considered attended?

If I remove the magazine and chambered round before leaving it in the car, does that make it legal if I were to have to go inside the school?

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't have a gun on school property, period!! In a car means the same thing. So when you pick up your daughter, you leave it where that might be.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO If you have to leave your car, it MUST be OFF school property. If you are dropping off(before school) or picking up(after school), as long as you stay in your car, you are okay.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If I remove the magazine and chambered round before leaving it in the car, does that make it legal if I were to have to go inside the school?

No and no.
You can't get out of the car with the gun.
You can't get out of the car and leave the gun in the car, no matter the condition or how stored.

Write your legislature if you want this changed.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Section 1280.1 - Possession of Firearm on School Property
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSSESSION OF FIREARM ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession on any public or private school property or while in any school bus or vehicle used by any school for transportation of students or teachers any firearm or weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title, except as provided in subsection C of this section or as otherwise authorized by law.

B. "School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational-technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

C. Firearms and weapons are allowed on school property and deemed not in violation of subsection A of this section as follows:

1. A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property;

2. A gun or knife used for the purposes of participating in the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation certified hunter training education course or any other hunting, fishing, safety or firearms training courses, or a recognized firearms sports event, team shooting program or competition, or living history reenactment, provided the course or event is approved by the principal or chief administrator of the school where the course or event is offered, and provided the weapon is properly displayed or stored as required by law pending participation in the course, event, program or competition; and

3. Weapons in the possession of any peace officer or other person authorized by law to possess a weapon in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.

D. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), and imprisonment for not more than two (2) years. Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license permanently revoked and shall be liable for an administrative fine of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above, if you are getting out of the vehicle you need to park off school property and leave it in your vehicle. This is fairly easy at my daughter's elementary school. At the Owasso 8th grade center it is completely impractical - I can drive home and leave my pistol there faster than park across the busy 4 lane road and walk the 4-500 yards to the school.

It is a stupid law.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above, if you are getting out of the vehicle you need to park off school property and leave it in your vehicle. This is fairly easy at my daughter's elementary school. At the Owasso 8th grade center it is completely impractical - I can drive home and leave my pistol there faster than park across the busy 4 lane road and walk the 4-500 yards to the school.

It is a stupid law.

Yes it is. As are the school officials and bureaucrats who support it. It is part of the "zero tolerance" mentality they have which indicates zero common sense.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'd feel safer if one of my kid's teachers was armed personally. Anyway, if it isn't already clear from all of the responses:

You may have the gun on you in your car if you are driving through and picking up your child. If you need to leave your car, you have to park away from the school, take your gun off, lock it up (that's just common sense) and go inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom