Concealed Carry Rights conundrum!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I wanted to pass on a little encounter that a "Friend" had last weekend at a local Movie Theater. :coffee2: Here is the way it went down. Friend is actively making use of a stall in the bathroom of said Theater. Meaning that he was dropping some kids off at the pool. :rolleyes2 This Friend has a CCW Permit issued in Oklahoma and is a citizen of Oklahoma County. While doing his business he tries to ensure that his weapon is no visible by apparently covering the rear sight and end of the weapon with his boxers. Apparently, at some point this method of concealment fails by way of movement to do what is done at the end of such an activity. :) Just about this time a young boy around 6 years old is standing there staring through the small gap on one side of the stall door which is closed and locked. This boy yells out, "Daddy, he has a gun just like yours!"

A marked response of sphincter rippling intensity overcomes the friend and he promptly stands up and begins dressing. This is followed by a knock on the door to the stall and a man asking, "Do you have a gun in there?" Remember this is a bathroom with many stalls and people coming in and out etc. The friend says nothing in response but opens the door to see a mild mannered man standing there. The friend attempts to walk toward the sink, not the entrance to the bathroom to wash his hands. The man yells for friend to stop right there and again he asks "Do you have a gun on you?" Friend replies quickly with "I'm not answering your questions. I am going to wash my hands though." A reply thereafter from the man comes loudly after he steps again in the path of friend, "I'm going to ask one last time *******. Do you have a weapon on you?" Friend thinks for a moment and says again, "Look I'm not going to answer your questions." and tries to leave. At which point man grabs hold of friends left bicep with a stern grip and states "I'm a cop *******. You have to tell me if you have a weapon on you!" Friend quickly replies with a question of his own, "Am I being detained here?" This brings about a perplexed look from mancop as well as a response that is really non responsive. "I don't know. Do you have a weapon on you. My son here saw a gun on you!" Friend is beside himself with anger and pulls away sharply from mancop ready to pummel the next person that lays a hand on him and takes a defensive posture at this point in addition to stern statement, "If I am not being detained or arrested you had best keep your damn hands off me. We wouldn't want your kid to see you in an odd predicament now would we?" Mancop stares at friend and places hands on hips. Friend turns and washes his hands keeping an eye on mancop. Friend dries hands after using the magic paper towel dispenser that spits out paper when you wave at it.

Friend speaks softly to a still starring mancop "If you are a cop, you sure need a CLEET refresher on laws." as he saunters out of the bathroom and back to his family waiting on him. Nothing worse for the wear aside form some high blood pressure and adrenaline!

Discuss! :grumble:

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you friend handled it right. If he was a cop, should have had the badge out to see. :ugh2:If he was any kind of parent, he would teach his kid not to look into stalls.:yikes2:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody needs to speak with their officers.

I had a cop (off duty, wearing sweats and unknown to me) appear out the the brush one night. He thought I was breaking into my own house.

Good for him:

1. I was not armed. I had cover he didnt...plus he NEVER ID himself as an officer... but his gun was out.

2. He called for a scout car before he ventured out. His LT gave him a firm A$$ chewing when he showed up to sort this out.

3. His kids a meat gazer. It's not polite to stall gaze. I guess Mr Fife never thought of that now-did he?

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, the officer made a huge tactical error in knocking on the stall door asking if he had a gun.

Secondly, he endangered his son by not ushering him out of the way before confronting an alleged armed person.

Third, if the officer never produced a badge and formally identified himself, then I think your friend was correct in not admitting he was carrying. Just a man standing there in plain clothes saying he is a cop is not good enough for me. IMHO

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That could have gone real bad for the cop's ego had it happened to a few I know. Had he grabbed their arm like that in that scenario, he'd likely been laid out on the floor.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I knew I... I mean my "Friend" handles it right! :) I thought it was a great show of restraint. And if the small child was not there this may have ended a bit differently. It is odd how onlookers in a bathroom clear out at the mention of a gun though! From what I hear. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom