Concealed Carry Rights conundrum!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost wish your friend had followed up on this and called the real cops to see if this guy really was a cop. Even without a badge, he impersonated <s>you</s>, and assaulted you, and attempted to kidnap you. I mean, your friend.

If he was a cop, his department needs to know how he behaves while off duty, and he needs a tactics refresher.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds well-handled.

Even if the guy is a cop, that's not the kind of situation (I think) that you need to be answering questions like that. Grabbing someone in the bathroom and preventing them from leaving is a good way to start the kind of situation that can go very badly for all involved.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the friend handled the circumstance well. He was non-confrontational when approached. He made every effort to quietly leave, while posing no threat to the accusing party (or anyone else). He did not create a scene himself, or otherwise draw the attention of others to his direction, while disengaging from the officer-claimant.

Most important of all, he got to leave the circumstance with no harm to anyone or cause for further action by any authority.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost wish your friend had followed up on this and called the real cops to see if this guy really was a cop. Even without a badge, he impersonated <s>you</s>, and assaulted you, and attempted to kidnap you. I mean, your friend.

If he was a cop, his department needs to know how he behaves while off duty, and he needs a tactics refresher.

This is how I would have eventually dealt with it.

Call the police and see if he waits for them to show up. If he turns out to be a police officer, ask to speak to a supervisor if one doesn't show up already. Personally, I go to every impersonating call that goes out in my area since I'm confident I'll have to deal with it at some point.

While I don't think an assault or kidnapping charge will fly, cop or not, I don't think your "friend" would have any problem explaining a use of force in self defense against a person in plainclothes who produced no identification and then put hands on. That is if he felt it was necessary.

An impersonating charge would certainly work and if he was a cop, you can be certain that he will be derided by his peers and likely reprimanded by his superiors.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom