Concealed Carry Rights conundrum!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he's plain clothes he better be showing me some proper police identification if he expects me to answer any of his questions. He also needs to act like a professional officer, and not look like some random creepy dude trying to pick a fight in the theatre bathroom.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the issue of the notification law, which states that upon first contact with a police officer you must notify... Like any other law in which the mens rea isn't specified, it would require a "knowing" state of mind for a violation to occur. "Knowing" means believing that something is practically certain. I don't think anyone can be practically certain that some knucklehead in plain clothes is a cop just because he says so. So not only did you handle the situation well, you also followed the law! :)

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
cop or not he is a worse parent

While I don't think an assault or kidnapping charge will fly, cop or not, I don't think your "friend" would have any problem explaining a use of force in self defense against a person in plainclothes who produced no identification and then put hands on. That is if he felt it was necessary.

An impersonating charge would certainly work and if he was a cop, you can be certain that he will be derided by his peers and likely reprimanded by his superiors.

Michael Brown

I would love some insight on this.... we have had a few discussions on here about self defense in a physical confrontation and the opinion always seems to be avoid it at all cost because if you bring a gun to a fist fight, you become a felon. In this scenario I can't see how some of these responses about putting him in the wall are even considered. If he is an officer "even one making a poor decision" getting physical with him could be very bad for you especially if you are able to put him in the wall. And if it come to an old fashioned "draw down" if he is faster youare dead and if you are faster, you are in prison. it seems both of the men in this scenario are very fortunate it ended so well

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And if said man was a cop he wouldnt be too smart to try and wrestle a man who he suspects has a gun, and could have got himself killed in the process...
perfect example of my point in my previous post..... you would have an almost impossible time convincing the D.A., Judge, jury, and even the public (members of this board included) that you shot an officer in front of his child in self-defense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom