Confirmed: Next-Gen Dodge Charger, Challenger Will Be Electric Only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will stick with my 6.1L
Ever seen this?

At some point in the near future, we’re just going to have to accept the fact electric cars are going to replace gas engines. Don’t get me wrong, I love muscle cars too and I’d take a ‘72 Nova SS or an ‘87 Buick Grand National over anything that’s electric any day. But this is the future and we’re just going to have to deal with it.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so if I’m understanding correctly, they thought they had an auto pilot option but actually didn‘t? Seems to me that it probably could have been avoided had somebody actually been behind the wheel. I didn’t even know that they had an auto pilot option but being that it’s a fairly new technology, I wouldn’t put all of my trust in it, especially if your life depended on it. Seems like this accident could be blamed on the car’s auto pilot system (or lack thereof) and/or stupidity. The fact that it runs on electricity is irrelevant to the cause.

As for that second story, you do know that the New York Post is a tabloid newspaper, right?

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I just picked one there’s page after page of them.

We we’re told the 0-60 of the telsa only, not the hellcat or any quarter mile times. What was the top speed through the traps?

A rear wheel drive takes a skilled driver to launch, are these two hot shot pro drivers?

What about the environmental variables, ie: sea level, temperature, car turned with correct A/F etc? Those aren’t much of a concern on a telsa other than heat could toast ya IMO.

Nice add for telsa, here’s a comparison. Really all three should be run on the same day for real world comparisons IMO

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/tesla-0-60-mph-times/
https://www.carindigo.com/dodge/challenger-srt-hellcat-coupe/0to60
Here’s the easy to drive all wheel drive GTR. I took a GTR to 117 mph though the tower at Halett and I’m not a round track driver.

https://www.carindigo.com/nissan/gt-r/0to60

Maximum Horsepower @ RPM
600 @ 6800
Maximum Torque @ RPM
481 @ 3600

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I just picked one there’s page after page of them.

We we’re told the 0-60 of the telsa only, not the hellcat or any quarter mile times. What was the top speed through the traps?

A rear wheel drive takes a skilled driver to launch, are these two hot shot pro drivers?

What about the environmental variables, ie: sea level, temperature, car turned with correct A/F etc? Those aren’t much of a concern on a telsa other than heat could toast ya IMO.

Nice add for telsa, here’s a comparison. Really all three should be run on the same day for real world comparisons IMO

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/tesla-0-60-mph-times/
https://www.carindigo.com/dodge/challenger-srt-hellcat-coupe/0to60
Here’s the easy to drive all wheel drive GTR. I took a GTR to 117 mph though the tower at Halett and I’m not a round track driver.

https://www.carindigo.com/nissan/gt-r/0to60

Maximum Horsepower @ RPM
600 @ 6800
Maximum Torque @ RPM
481 @ 3600
That’s cool and all…i wish we could keep our gas engines too. But more and more auto manufacturers will be going electric, it’s inevitable. I don’t like it any more than you do.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really argues that electric cars of the future but they are certainly not the now. Until you can reasonably drive across the United States without it taking three times as long as it should because you have to wait for hours to charge your car because the battery capacity will not keep up with the demand that you need to be able to drive anywhere more than across town, gassers will still have their place.

As far as the Hellcat vs Tesla.... There is more to everything than just pure acceleration. I get that they are fast. But video that I drive I drive for a reason because it's from what I could find the best compromise of everything that I want a car to do. It gets good enough fuel economy to satisfy my wallet, it is fast enough to satisfy my desire for speed, it has enough cargo space to satisfy my desire to haul stuff, enough seats to satisfy my need to haul people and enough comfort to satisfy my back on trips. Until an electric car manufacturer makes something that will do everything that I want to do with my SRT8 station wagon, I will just continue driving my SRT8 station wagon.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever seen this?

At some point in the near future, we’re just going to have to accept the fact electric cars are going to replace gas engines. Don’t get me wrong, I love muscle cars too and I’d take a ‘72 Nova SS or an ‘87 Buick Grand National over anything that’s electric any day. But this is the future and we’re just going to have to deal with it.

It will only become the future if we (meaning the people) buy these electric vehicles to keep the company in business.
If they don't sell enough of them hopefully they will see that there is still a need for gas engines.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A total rebuild of the power grid will take decades to address the additional loads on the power grid. Battery technology will have to advance.

185 miles on a ford electric PU and 85 miles towing has these as viable for city and burbs only.

JMO, this technology isn’t magic.

Theres really no practical use for a daily driver to have 500+ hp IMO, only a bunch of poor drivers getting killed. Until you get your 13 second car out of the high 13s to mid 14s hp isn’t the answer and on the strip it a painful truth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom