Conn. School Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here it comes... just officially announced.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/16/feinstein-to-introduce-assault-weapons-ban-bill/

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said Sunday the president will soon have legislation "to lead on" in the gun control debate, announcing she will introduce a bill next month in the Senate to place a ban on assault weapons.

"We'll be prepared to go, and I hope the nation will really help," Feinstein said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The senator said she'll introduce the bill when Congress reconvenes in January and the same legislation will also be proposed in the House of Representatives.

"We're crafting this one. It's being done with care. It'll be ready on the first day," she said, adding that she'll soon announce the House authors.

"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation, and the possession. Not retroactively, but prospectively. It will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets," she said. "There will be a bill."

Gun rights legislation has gained renewed attention since Friday's deadly elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 students and six adults dead.

Many lawmakers and politicians have called for stricter gun control laws at the federal level, including a revisit to the 1994 former assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 but has yet to be reinstated.

Feinstein, who helped champion the 1994 legislation, said she and her staff have looked at the initial bill and tried to "perfect it."

"We believe we have (perfected it). We exempt over 900 specific weapons that will not fall under the bill, but the purpose of this bill is to get … 'weapons of war' off the street of our cities," she said.

The senator added she believes President Barack Obama will support the legislation. As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama said he would support such a ban, but he has been criticized for failing to work toward tighter gun control laws since taking office.

After Friday's shooting, however, the president signaled a change in policy could soon be in place.

"We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," Obama said in his weekly address Saturday, echoing remarks he made Friday after the tragedy.

Feinstein on Sunday praised the assault weapons ban of 1994 for surviving its entire 10-year term and predicted a successful future for her upcoming bill.

"I believe this will be sustained as well," she added. "You know, all of the things that society regulates, but we can't touch guns? That's wrong."

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kinda like the sorry ass parents who teach kids to shoot. Some will argue that guns or shooting are not meant for children.

Children are curious beings, by removing the curiosity and instilling solid gun safety at a young age is key to them not "getting dad's 9 out" while friends are over. These are accidents to which I attribute NOT showing your child how a gun operates and what it does.

Shootings in schools and other acts of violence has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with any of the above. And lets not forget the shooter that is germane to this thread was over 20 years old.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Countries who restrict firearms ownership to military only would be countries like Isreal, though in Isreal everyone is required to serve some time in the military IIRC. My point here is, that seems to be working well as there is no violence in Isreal.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say one thing about sorry ass parents teaching their children about firearms. Don't put words in my mouth. I think that is great. It's better they know about them instead of not. Then they won't be as inclined to play with them and get Hurt. I do not believe parents should let their little children play games that are for adults. They don't need to hear all the bad language and see the sex that are in alot of games. But all parents are different. I just won't let mine play them. Or see them.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say one thing about sorry ass parents teaching their children about firearms. Don't put words in my mouth. I think that is great. It's better they know about them instead of not. Then they won't be as inclined to play with them and get Hurt. I do not believe parents should let their little children play games that are for adults. They don't need to hear all the bad language and see the sex that are in alot of games. But all parents are different. I just won't let mine play them. Or see them.

Tony I think you misuderstood or didn't read correctly.. we are referring to Lurker66 comment about "kinda like the sorry ass parents who teach kids to shoot."

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
And Lurker was probably being sarcastic. We are all on the same page about 1). Being sickened by these kinds of mass murders and 2). Not believing more control is the answer.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here it comes... just officially announced.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/16/feinstein-to-introduce-assault-weapons-ban-bill/

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said Sunday the president will soon have legislation "to lead on" in the gun control debate, announcing she will introduce a bill next month in the Senate to place a ban on assault weapons.

"We'll be prepared to go, and I hope the nation will really help," Feinstein said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The senator said she'll introduce the bill when Congress reconvenes in January and the same legislation will also be proposed in the House of Representatives.

"We're crafting this one. It's being done with care. It'll be ready on the first day," she said, adding that she'll soon announce the House authors.

"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation, and the possession. Not retroactively, but prospectively. It will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets," she said. "There will be a bill."

Gun rights legislation has gained renewed attention since Friday's deadly elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 students and six adults dead.

Many lawmakers and politicians have called for stricter gun control laws at the federal level, including a revisit to the 1994 former assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 but has yet to be reinstated.

Feinstein, who helped champion the 1994 legislation, said she and her staff have looked at the initial bill and tried to "perfect it."

"We believe we have (perfected it). We exempt over 900 specific weapons that will not fall under the bill, but the purpose of this bill is to get … 'weapons of war' off the street of our cities," she said.

The senator added she believes President Barack Obama will support the legislation. As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama said he would support such a ban, but he has been criticized for failing to work toward tighter gun control laws since taking office.

After Friday's shooting, however, the president signaled a change in policy could soon be in place.

"We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," Obama said in his weekly address Saturday, echoing remarks he made Friday after the tragedy.

Feinstein on Sunday praised the assault weapons ban of 1994 for surviving its entire 10-year term and predicted a successful future for her upcoming bill.

"I believe this will be sustained as well," she added. "You know, all of the things that society regulates, but we can't touch guns? That's wrong."
Is Feinstein and all the other anti-gun idiots so dumb that they don't remember that Columbine was done during the 1994 AWB?? That really did alot to stop that massacre huh? This just proves that it isn't about them actually believing these guns are a problem. They just don't want us to be able to have them. It is a personal thing I believe. Just another liberty that our sorry government wants to try and take away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom