Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firing up the smoker today. Got a bday party on Sat and I'm in charge of the protein(was gonna say meat but TedKennedy would have a field day). :) Expecting about 25 people. 2 bone in pork shoulders(9lbs each) going on the smoker today. Mustard slather then my famous bbq dry rub. Will smoke 4-5 hrs then wrap in foil until internal temp hits 200.

6 slabs of baby back ribs will go on early tomorrow for about 4 hrs. Baked beans already made along with mac and cheese that needs finishing. Slaw will be prepped this evening.

Made 2 bbq sauces - 1 is a Carolina style vinegar based and the other is a Texas style chipotle.

4 cases of beer and 1 case of hard seltzer. Should be a good time!!
smoker.jpg
shoulders.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firing up the smoker today. Got a bday party on Sat and I'm in charge of the protein(was gonna say meat but TedKennedy would have a field day). :) Expecting about 25 people. 2 bone in pork shoulders(9lbs each) going on the smoker today. Mustard slather then my famous bbq dry rub. Will smoke 4-5 hrs then wrap in foil until internal temp hits 200.

6 slabs of baby back ribs will go on early tomorrow for about 4 hrs. Baked beans already made along with mac and cheese that needs finishing. Slaw will be prepped this evening.

Made 2 bbq sauces - 1 is a Carolina style vinegar based and the other is a Texas style chipotle.

4 cases of beer and 1 case of hard seltzer. Should be a good time!! View attachment 495253View attachment 495254
Guessing my invite got lost in the mail?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whats your favorite way to cook backstrap? I have some antelope straps and I wanna make them awesome.
I'm been cooking rib eyes in a cast iron skillet with lots of butter and minced garlic, black pepper and salt. So debating on this or grill it for 3 min. or so, at 450* per side with just salt, pepper and maybe garlic.

ETA: I already made a small antelope steak in the skillet as described above and it was awesome

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time with my maternal grandparents growing up and learned to like liver (both chicken and beef), and I’ve tried to eat deer liver a couple time and am not a fan. I saved the turkey liver from my spring bird, and wow, that’s good eating!!! :thumb:
Give me a big plate of liver and onions, covered in gravy with a pile of taters fried in bacon grease, and I'm in heaven.
Not a fan of deer liver either. Fresh calves liver never frozen is the best.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give me a big plate of liver and onions, covered in gravy with a pile of taters fried in bacon grease, and I'm in heaven.
Not a fan of deer liver either. Fresh calves liver never frozen is the best.
I spent a lot of time with my maternal grandparents growing up and learned to like liver (both chicken and beef), and I’ve tried to eat deer liver a couple time and am not a fan. I saved the turkey liver from my spring bird, and wow, that’s good eating!!! :thumb:
Fried liver and onions or chicken livers is good stuff.....dove has a livery taste to me and I like it also.

I always carried a plastic bag when deer hunting to bring the liver and heart back after gutting, deer liver is a little stronger but still dam good to me.

Good thing about liver in this house.....mama will cook it for me whenever I ask but won't eat it herself so I get it all to myself. :)

oal.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fried liver and onions or chicken livers is good stuff.....dove has a livery taste to me and I like it also.

I always carried a plastic bag when deer hunting to bring the liver and heart back after gutting, deer liver is a little stronger but still dam good to me.

Good thing about liver in this house.....mama will cook it for me whenever I ask but won't eat it herself so I get it all to myself. :)

View attachment 496244
Liver is supposedly very high in cholesterol. A cardiologist once said 1 serving was equal to eating a dozen eggs in one sitting. I never liked liver as a kid, mom didnt know to soak it in milk so it tasted really strong. I recently tried it again after soaking it and it was really good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom