coyote pup.... rescued.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How he turns out will be entirely up to his own personality. As a kid, I found a raccoon nest with little ones (less than 2 weeks old). Kept one of the males, he was an awesome buddy. Would ride on my shoulder, even when I was on horseback. A great chick magnet. Very friendly, never aggressive. He was killed by some stray dogs when he was 4yo. That spring, checked every hollow I could find during squirrel season. Found another litter and took a small male. Had to feed him with one of my sister's doll bottles. Cared for him and handled him every day, same as with the other one. When he was about 9 months old, he turned. That was the meanest little bastard I have ever seen. A real Houdini, he could get out of anywhere. Put him in a dog crate and then wrapped it with 3 layers of chicken wire. He was out before I got across the yard. Last I seen him, he was chasing some kids on bicycles down the street who threw a rock at him while he was sleeping on top of the fence.

Good luck with your lil yote, but watch him closely.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is very cool Tyson! I know a few guys that raised coyotes as pets. One of them recorded several vocals and ended up selling them to Foxpro. I'm going to send you a pm with a guys name and number if I can find it. He's considered to be an expert on coyote behavior and could possibly be of help for you. Good luck!

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting the GW said you could keep it, my understanding is that it is illegal to keep any indigenous Oklahoma wildlife as a pet without a license. Well, have fun and be careful.

I find that odd too...but since yotes are considered varmints and there is no bag limit, I don't really see an issue with it either. I mean, who cares?

3slugger has the answer. pretty much the way it was put to me. GW said he knows of people who have tried and failed and tried and succeeded. he said getting one this young "might" have better odds of a nicer behavior but "never forget what he is" and its all in its personality. he was stressing the issue of being careful, etc... he had one back in the day too, gave me a lot of advice. but overall if the animal is seasoned then its a no. he said you would be amazed at how many people try and keep possum, coons, even armadilla's as some sort of pet..lol

****for tonight we finally got the little guy a mixture put together and he has been feeding away.

we mixed up:
1/2.... can of PET milk- carnation
1....... tablespoon honey
2........egg yokes
1/2.....can of water

we put about 3 tablespoons in a bottle feeder and took down about 2 tablespoons.

later all......

pup3.jpg

pup4.jpg

Last edited:

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is very cool Tyson! I know a few guys that raised coyotes as pets. One of them recorded several vocals and ended up selling them to Foxpro. I'm going to send you a pm with a guys name and number if I can find it. He's considered to be an expert on coyote behavior and could possibly be of help for you. Good luck!

scott that sounds great!! thanks for the help as always! that was one of my ideas, if things work out i would get a few of his vocals down and or pretty much perfect my own hand calling, what better to compare to right..lol

thanks again!

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great you get to keep it. I hope it turns out to be a good animal.
I am keeping my brother's dogs until he gets his house squared away. The one is a Tamaskan, very coyote looking and even acts kinda like that fort video someone posted.
Good luck..

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well did you keep him?

yes

he hasn't been on for a few days. hope the coyote didn't eat him.

ha ha..that one made me :D. (been side tracked with baseball and a truck project of mine)

the little guy is doing fine and growing. i tried to do a mix of soft food and crushed hard food with his liquid mix in a bowl and he didn't take to it. so i will go about another week or so and try again. we feed him about 3-4tbls spoons out of his bottle about every 3-4hours if we can, once in awhile a straw with water in it. his ears have gained the most change in his looks and his eyes are opened up all the way now. all of his plumbing is working so i know things are going in and out good...lol

here is a video of us "singing together", i need to do a vid of me using my hand calls sometime and see how he takes to that. ha ha

he has started to take to an old sock of mine..lol, its pretty funny, such a mean growl...:) (sorry for my out of control kids in the background..ha ha)

other than that all has been good, so far.

Last edited:

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
he is a cute little bugger,i have raised alot of bird dog pups and there is nothing i found better then goats milk & biljacks mix together for feeding a puppy you get goats milk in a can at grocrie store

Latest posts

Top Bottom