Curious ... What do y'all think??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well yeah ... There is that. I'm REALLY interested in what Genter Drummond's inquiry finds. I realize he's gunning for Governor, but every once in a while these politicians will actually do something useful while they are pandering for votes -- like tell OHP to enforce a law that's been on the books for 30 years but nobody wanted to hurt the Indians feelings so they just let it slide. 🤷

We have power surges and "bleeps" fairly regularly over here. I think the transformer that services this area must be held together with bread twist-ties and rubber bands because by "fairly regularly" I mean at least monthly. And sometimes several times a day.

Anyway, because of all that I spent a lot of money (for me anyway) and had surge protectors put on the HVAC system about 2 weeks ago. Lo and behold we had a "interruption in power" a couple days ago. No worries, right?? We have the surge protector thing we on it, right??

Oh HELL NO! Our heater is now blowing cold air and the little green light for some thing or another that is supposed to be blinking is not. It's just on. Staring at me like "FU *****!" 🙄🙄🙄

I called SunTech and they literally did not believe me at first. Shut it off and turn it back on, they said, like I didn't try that a dozen times before I called them.

I swear if it ain't one thing it's 6 others ... Lol ... 🙄🙄🙄
Suntech?
Really??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a reply and pointed at nobody. Needed a title.
This news report is sensationalism and not much truth.
In one paragraph he/she talk as about how high our electricity bill is and at the end that most didn’t read;

“Today Oklahoma has some of the lowest average electricity prices in the country as a result of OG&E’s commitment to provide reliable, resilient and affordable power combined with regulatory oversight of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission and the adherence to a process of ensuring rates are fair, just and reasonable. As a participant in the wholesale market of the Southwest Power Pool, OG&E customers enjoy the lowest-cost fuel available from a 14-state region each and every day.”

So, where is this “reporter” coming from?
They are advocating going to merchant provided power like commiefornika and Tx went.
Contractors put in gas plants or wind with zero redundancy resulting in the rolling blackouts you hear about all the time.
Want those in Oklahoma? Make sure the Corporation commission gets your complaint and you will get what you ask for.
What redundancy means is that when OG&E puts in a power plant, they install 100% redundancy on the critical components of the plant so that when one fails, the other picks up and the customer never sees a blip.
I spent 16 years maintaining and programming those control systems at Sooner Power Plant.
Our record was one of the best in the industry with the teams that operated, maintained, and supported that business.
Oklahoma was on track by the legislature to go open market like other states before some folks in the corporation commission said no.
Be VERY careful of who you vote for in that election. Bob Anthony has been a stalwart of keeping the commission alive and well.
Never vote for appointed positions on anything related to your utilities.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well yeah ... There is that. I'm REALLY interested in what Genter Drummond's inquiry finds. I realize he's gunning for Governor, but every once in a while these politicians will actually do something useful while they are pandering for votes -- like tell OHP to enforce a law that's been on the books for 30 years but nobody wanted to hurt the Indians feelings so they just let it slide. 🤷

We have power surges and "bleeps" fairly regularly over here. I think the transformer that services this area must be held together with bread twist-ties and rubber bands because by "fairly regularly" I mean at least monthly. And sometimes several times a day.

Anyway, because of all that I spent a lot of money (for me anyway) and had surge protectors put on the HVAC system about 2 weeks ago. Lo and behold we had a "interruption in power" a couple days ago. No worries, right?? We have the surge protector thing we on it, right??

Oh HELL NO! Our heater is now blowing cold air and the little green light for some thing or another that is supposed to be blinking is not. It's just on. Staring at me like "FU *****!" 🙄🙄🙄

I called SunTech and they literally did not believe me at first. Shut it off and turn it back on, they said, like I didn't try that a dozen times before I called them.

I swear if it ain't one thing it's 6 others ... Lol ... 🙄🙄🙄
What is the law that’s been on the books for 30 years not being enforced?

The price going up? We were one the most affordable a few years back. May just be another way the power company is trying to get more money. Kind of like the ice storm debacle a few years back that we will be paying forever.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interested as well, but I do know of several older not enforced. One of my college projects was to find old laws still on the books.
Tonkawa Ok required a person with a flag and shotgun to lead a “horseless carriage through town. The shotgun had to be fired every 200 yds or so or something

The price going up? We were one the most affordable a few years back. May just be another way the power company is trying to get more money. Kind of like the ice storm debacle a few years back that we will be paying forever.
The way the Okla corporation commission works is that they regulate our utilities.
OGE, Western Farmers, AEP and others are always looking to recoup losses after major energy events.
They are all public utilities on Wall Street, beholden to the investors. The more profit, more sales of stocks. Investors always clamoring for mo money.
The Corporation Commission is the buffer.
They made some terrible decisions in the 2000’s when merchant plants were being built everywhere in Ok in anticipation of free market power that had traditionally failed.
They forced OGE to buy those plants with zero redundancy vs build a new plant with 100% at the Sooner PP location after spending 24 million dollars for governmental reg studies that had already been done in the 70’s and just repeated by government regs.
When it came to go time, the libs on the corporate commission voted to scrap OGE and buy the merchant plants that are mostly mothballed at the expense of the tax payer as we speak. Ran as peaking units in the summer where coal is ran as a base unit 24/7/365.
Things have changed since I retired. What I relaid is what was current at that time.
Politics plays a lot in the cost of your utilities.

Last edited:

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe we should try camping in the back yard this winter in preparation for the complete breakdown of all infrastructure. If you have some chickens come up missing it wasn't me.

Pitching a tent in your living room is a 100% legit tactic for cold weather survival in a house with no heat.
Create as many layers of stagnant air between you and the cold as possible.
Seal in heat in a small area and cram the whole family in there.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suntech?
Really??

Yep. Long story. Let's just say when the warranty is up on this HVAC system I will be taking suggestions. They haven't been horrible but they haven't been all that good either. The techs for the most part do their job and do it well. The office help ..
OMG those girls ... 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Not that a single one of them cares what an old woman thinks of them. 🤷

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The Indian tag debacle ...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Long story. Let's just say when the warranty is up on this HVAC system I will be taking suggestions. They haven't been horrible but they haven't been all that good either. The techs for the most part do their job and do it well. The office help ..
OMG those girls ... 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Not that a single one of them cares what an old woman thinks of them. 🤷
Suntech is the worst as i have heard. I use Alls Heat and Air in
Tuttle. I know him personally and hes a good Cristian man. use to foster 7 kids back then and I trust him 1000%

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interested as well, but I do know of several older not enforced. One of my college projects was to find old laws still on the books.
Tonkawa Ok required a person with a flag and shotgun to lead a “horseless carriage through town. The shotgun had to be fired every 200 yds or so or something

The way the Okla corporation commission works is that they regulate our utilities.
OGE, Western Farmers, AEP and others are always looking to recoup losses after major energy events.
They are all public utilities on Wall Street, beholden to the investors. The more profit, more sales of stocks. Investors always clamoring for mo money.
The Corporation Commission is the buffer.
They made some terrible decisions in the 2000’s when merchant plants were being built everywhere in Ok in anticipation of free market power that had traditionally failed.
They forced OGE to buy those plants with zero redundancy vs build a new plant with 100% at the Sooner PP location after spending 24 million dollars for governmental reg studies that had already been done in the 70’s and just repeated by government regs.
When it came to go time, the libs on the corporate commission voted to scrap OGE and buy the merchant plants that are mostly mothballed at the expense of the tax payer as we speak. Ran as peaking units in the summer where coal is ran as a base unit 24/7/365.
Things have changed since I retired. What I relaid is what was current at that time.
Politics plays a lot in the cost of your utilities.
A fart in the wind wish, but it be nice if politicians got out of our energy. Other than to protect it and produce more of it.

They feck everything up

Latest posts

Top Bottom