DeWalt hedge trimmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes in the older days people would just throw the horse apples under the house to keep roaches and such out of and away from the house, when they are drying out they give off a odor that will keep them run off.
Using bois d arc wood for firewood is ok if you have a enclosed stove just dont use it in a fireplace with a open front if you have carpet or some sort of tile it will pop and burn what ever floor covering you have.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the spelling is wrong, but since the real spelling can be difficult for most (including myself), I thought I would post this:

The Beautiful Bois D'Arc Tree

The Incredible Bois D'Arc Tree

The Bois D'Arc tree makes very tough fence posts, but I don't know if they even still make them anymore. From that second link:

"But even though the barn is over 100 years old the contractors could not nail through the Bois d’Arc posts because they were so dense. They had to first drill them, and then nail or screw the boards to them. Fascinating!"
I’ve heard (not positive, I haven’t researched it) that Bois D'Arc is French or some other language, for Iron Wood. Always made sense to me, since if you’ve tried to cut a limb or branch off of one, it will dull a saw blade quickly. Way back the limbs were used in making bows, simply because they were near indestructible. Growing up in OK we just always called the Horse Apple trees. Sorry to veer off topic of hedge trimming, this all has always been interesting to me.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can take a small split stick of that stuff and tie it into a knot when it is green. Let it get hard though and oh man forget it.

Makes killer axe handles, duck calls and bows if your man enough. I have a half finished hatchet handle now I let get hard that a horseshoe rasp just skates on.

Also t: Take ripe horse apples just when you can break them up good and scatter crumbs around foundation of your house or anywhere you do not want bugs. They will vamoose. Some people say it is a myth but it works for me
This is tried and true. I’ve personally used crushed horse apples and sometimes, when I find it locally, I’ve added some crushed sulfur. I put it around my house, plus around my fence. I haven’t had a problem with ticks, fleas, or any bugs in years, it has also gotten rid of spiders. It’s works well with or without the sulfur.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve heard (not positive, I haven’t researched it) that Bois D'Arc is French or some other language, for Iron Wood. Always made sense to me, since if you’ve tried to cut a limb or branch off of one, it will dull a saw blade quickly. Way back the limbs were used in making bows, simply because they were near indestructible. Growing up in OK we just always called the Horse Apple trees. Sorry to veer off topic of hedge trimming, this all has always been interesting to me.
It is French for wooden bow

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is French for wooden bow
Lol, now yer just making stuff up... :D

Just kiddin' ... Premise is the same, but exact translations do vary a bit. :drunk2:

- Known also as hedge, hedge apple, bodark (from the French bois d'arc, meaning wood of the bow), and bowwood, the osage-orange's name comes from the Osage Indian tribe, which lived near the tree's home range, and from the orange-like aroma of the ripened fruit.

- Early French explorers named the Osage orange (maclura pomifera) tree “bois d'arc,” meaning “wood of the arc,” because its younger branches were used for making strong and resilient bows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define:Bois+D'Arc

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the spelling is wrong, but since the real spelling can be difficult for most (including myself), I thought I would post this:

The Beautiful Bois D'Arc Tree

The Incredible Bois D'Arc Tree

The Bois D'Arc tree makes very tough fence posts, but I don't know if they even still make them anymore. From that second link:
I have 22 Acres on one place that is about 90% hedge. If cutting it in low low light situations, sparks will come off the chain saw. No other wood does that.
There are many miles of osage orange fence rows in Grant country. Most have been abandoned with the posts left in place while steel T posts have replaced them.
I've pulled a couple of the posts. What's amazing is that the posts that are in the ground retain their original diameter while the post above ground is 1/3 the diameter.
Bodarc posts are in high demand from what I've seen with wood workers because of the yellow color plus there is green stripes in them not present in standard osage orange. The posts below ground bring that out.
People that build bows are always looking for straight trunks or some with a little twist for character to build bows.
I have a wood lathe. For fun I build strikers for slate turkey calls from different woods.
Osage orange is the toughest wood I've ever turned.
I can make three strikers out of walnut, without sharpening a tool. When turning one out of hedge, I may have to re-sharpen the tool three times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom