Disaster has Occurred

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, provided it's not contaminated by something in the water. One of the manufacturers still compares newly manufactured lots to one of the 100+ year old lots that is stored in DI water to preserve it. It is removed from the water, dehydrated and test fired. Then they run the same test on the new lot to compare. I think the powder is is Bullseye? Maybe 2400? I forget which one. Powder doesn't really have a shelf life and if stored properly will easily go past 100 years and still be as good as the day it was made.

I have heard that same thing, they were talking about Bullseye.

I would take one round out of each box, dry them as best you can then test fire them. If there are problems, I will help you pull them and reload.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, provided it's not contaminated by something in the water. One of the manufacturers still compares newly manufactured lots to one of the 100+ year old lots that is stored in DI water to preserve it. It is removed from the water, dehydrated and test fired. Then they run the same test on the new lot to compare. I think the powder is is Bullseye? Maybe 2400? I forget which one. Powder doesn't really have a shelf life and if stored properly will easily go past 100 years and still be as good as the day it was made.

Thanks for the explanation.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw them in a large container of rice to see if it will help dry them out.

I'm glad to hear that all is not lost. I'll be buying some rice tomorrow and mix them all in with that.

Now, after that is done, would it benefit the ammo any to spray with WD-40 (moisture displacement) or oil each round?

Yep. I would have no problem shooting them. you may get a squib or two, but I doubt it. who the manufacturer of the ammo and does it have a lacquer ring by chance?

I can't say for the lacquer ring, but all boxes were Winchester 308 in gray boxes. All were bought several years ago. Once this process is all done, my youngest son and I will need to go out to Banner range and do some shooting. He has a new DPMS 308 that he's never fired yet. So I guess I will be providing ammo for the two us.

They are worthless, better give them to me for disposal!

Heh....I'd have been absolutely disappointed if no one had made such a statement. Thanks for not letting me be disappointed.

But seriously, Guys, thank you all so much. I am hopeful that all this ammo may still be good. Needless to say, I'm getting rid of all boxes that have lids that hinge on the sides and meet in the middle for closing. All tubs in the future will have lids that fully cover the top of the tubs and latch into place.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep....Stick'm and Prick'm. : )

Put them in a chamber and hit'm with a firing pin : )

They could be fine...go plinking with'm and see.

NO RAPID FIRE DRILLS just in case there is a squib round and it gets stuck and you pull the trigger before you can react to NOT pull the trigger!!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. Thanks again, Guys. The rounds are now sitting in rice and will do so until at least next Saturday, giving them a week to be there.

I will first need to look up and make sure of what a squib is, but I understand it to be a round that hasn't enough power to leave the barrel. I would imagine that one would be able to tell when one occurred because of a lessened recoil. As I tend to shoot for accuracy and not speed, it is unlikely that I would do anything like rapid fire until these things are used up.

Now, should I get a squib, it is likely to damage the barrel on my DPMS? In case of a squib, is it fairly simple to remove the bullet from the barrel using a cleaning rod, or would I need something more sturdy?

Terry

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. Thanks again, Guys. The rounds are now sitting in rice and will do so until at least next Saturday, giving them a week to be there.

I will first need to look up and make sure of what a squib is, but I understand it to be a round that hasn't enough power to leave the barrel. I would imagine that one would be able to tell when one occurred because of a lessened recoil. As I tend to shoot for accuracy and not speed, it is unlikely that I would do anything like rapid fire until these things are used up.

Now, should I get a squib, it is likely to damage the barrel on my DPMS? In case of a squib, is it fairly simple to remove the bullet from the barrel using a cleaning rod, or would I need something more sturdy?

Terry

Some times squibs can be hard to remove especially with jacketed bullets. If I got one I would try to use the largest diameter wooden dowel or brass rod that will easily slide into the barrel to push the stuck bullet out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom