Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Humans need to belong and they need to feel that they are special snowflakes.

Organized religion gives them that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can only speculate based on my experience... It's undeniable that there are positives that come from religion just as it's undeniable that religion produces some bad things. The bigger question is what are we left with? More good or more bad? Unfortunately, I don't think that question can be approached without bias. We're already on a side and will naturally select the one that fits our world view. It would be an interesting study but one that's impossible to quantify. It reminds me of the question I like to ask anti-gunners... "how many lives do guns save annually?" I think that number is ginromous and insanely impossible to calculate. Just as I think the good vs bad of religion is an impossible formula to construct and then solve. But I do lean one direction, obviously.

I just wonder if there's really a trend to move away from it like some sources say. I'm an apostate and I know many others but in the grand scheme of people and life, that's not even a drop in the bucket.

Well said, and like you said, hard to prove either side. Everything that was done in the name of "religion" in the last 2000 years and beyond, if those events hadn't occurred, would things be better now or worse? We'll never know. Slavery? the same premise, it's historical, it happened, are we better or worse now because of it? We'll never know.

The trend to move towards or away? We really have few ways to validate any of the info we get from information sources, so your guess is as good as mine......we just have to rely on our personal experiences. Even then, I'm sure that would be relative to each persons situation and environment around them. Religion is on the decrease in Ferguson, MO for example.......but on the rise in every maximum security prison in the US lol.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a follower of Jesus. I'm not controlled by anyone and I really don't care what people think. I don't think I'm better than anyone, probably worse. I'm better than I used to be but still a work in progress. Because of my faith I am not afraid of death. If you hate me because of my faith, join the crowd. If you come at me bring a sack lunch.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People don't need religion but I question those who don't have any beliefs. I don't agree with most religions but I have my own beliefs which I share with those that ask. Otherwise I keep to myself and let people believe what they want. I've had enough people preach at me to know not to go around preaching at others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If all the world lived according to the TRUE teachings of Christianity, would the world be a better place?

I added the bold.

In my opinion the basis comes down to this:

1. Respect and love God.

2. Respect others and show the love God has shown to you.

According to James:
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Does anyone truly see anything wrong with that?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If all the world lived according to the teachings of Christianity, would the world be a better place?

I added the bold.

In my opinion the basis comes down to this:

1. Respect and love God.

2. Respect others and show the love God has shown to you.

According to James:

Does anyone truly see anything wrong with that?

That's how it should be OKCHunter and tR...........yet since man isn't perfect, we're going to fail at some point. Some did/do fail and take advantage of "religion" and use it for the wrong purpose. There is a difference between religion and "religion".

Latest posts

Top Bottom