Dove Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 32041
Went this afternoon with my dad and little brother. We got 20. Lost 2 that we coukd not find. My dad as always kicked our butts. I think he only shot 15 times and killed 11 birds. And he was using his old 1100 lw 28 gauge. Me and my brother shot 3 times as much. Good times for sure.

Nice! Your dad just knows the value of 28g shells is all, lol:)

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted in Okarche with group of friends Sunday, I killed 10 birds total Sunday, probably 60-70 birds for the whole group Sunday morning, we ate em all. Went back out Monday morning and 2 of us killed 8 more. We hunted a huge cut sorghum sudangrass field, plenty of food, not enough guns to keep them up and flying. It was a great weekend hanging out with buddies.

CalOkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted Logan County opening morning on private property. The morning before I went scouting one last time and saw over 200 birds in this one field. I went home and came back the next morning to hunt and they were gone. I only saw 7 dove, all of which were out of gun range. Needless to say I was a little disappointed and confused after seeing all the dove the morning before.

That afternoon a friend invited me to hunt on his property in Payne County. The evening hunt was a much better. Plenty of birds to be had. We were hunting basically in a cow pasture, but the birds loved it for some reason. I ended up shooting 7. If I could shoot I could have easily gotten a limit. My friend shot 13 and his son shot another 7.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Lexington early afternoon and took my new pup to see how he did in the field without a lead or others around. I was pretty impressed how well he listened, stayed nearby, and behaved overall. Only saw 4 dove in 4 hours after walking all different areas. Even the land manager said they had very few birds before the opener and don't get any from the migration. I shoot twice to see how the dog reacted. He stayed beside me, didn't bark, and was attentive. I'm happy with the afternoon.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ellis County was AWESOME as usual. I've been hunting the same place for 29 years. Got some good father son time, which was the best part. Four of us limited out Sunday and we had to STOP SHOOTING, which is always good! We were a few birds short of a limit for the four of us yesterday. I was shooting a Browning 20 auto, my son an 870 20, one had a Winchester Model 24 in 20 (those of you who know what that is are saying WOW) and the last a Browning Citori in 12.

cencrunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
On private property near Mangum. 7 shooters, over a hundred birds Sun. Never seen that many birds in many years hunting there. A good time was had by all. Birds wrapped in bacon with brat or pepper in the bacon cooked on grill were excellent.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got a field that is loaded with field tomatoe type plants, and its loaded with birds, but they fly through the middle of the field which is 60-80 yrds from the tree line. If we move to the middle and try to hide out, they stay on the tree line...

https://www.okshooters.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2281477

sounds like you need more people on that field to help keep the birds moving. let me know when you want me to come down and help out :rubhands:

fastadam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went solo to a little spot I know of around sand springs and I limited out by 9:30. I put the Mossberg to work! I went back opening evening and couldn't stand the heat and mosquitos so I left with just 2 more birds. All but 4 of the birds I shot where big ringneck dove. My buddy will be with me next weekend so maybe we can knock a few more down.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like some good hunts! The lab and myself tried a new spot this evening. A small pond in a pasture nestled between two uncut milo fields.............sounds and looks prime, only saw 20 birds or so. Pond had no bare edges so I went and sit on the milo edge, had three shots, drew feathers three time and came home empty handed, beautiful evening out though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom