Ever tried to explain...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a different one for you to ponder. I saw this phenomenon in Arkansas. It's called Frost Flowers. I was driving to a town early in the morning in the mountains and the temperature was in the teens. I kept seeing these white things in the ditch for miles. It looked to me like someone unstuffed a cotton pillow. I finally stopped and took the pictures below.

The temperature and humidity has to be just right for this to happen. As soon as the sun hits them they're gone.
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sunday I'm getting up early to boil some water and toss it up in the air on the patio. Its supposed to freeeze before it hits the ground when its really cold but I dont know what really cold needs to be for this to work.
I'm pretty sure it needs to be well into the negatives, but I don't remember. I do know that water will flash freeze at -39* (F or C) on Earth.

My 9th grade science teacher was from Wisconsin, and he told us about the winters up there. One of those stories was from when he was in military school, about how they'd open a second floor window and dump a bucket of hot water out so they could watch it freeze before it hit the ground.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a different one for you to ponder. I saw this phenomenon in Arkansas. It's called Frost Flowers. I was driving to a town early in the morning in the mountains and the temperature was in the teens. I kept seeing these white things in the ditch for miles. It looked to me like someone unstuffed a cotton pillow. I finally stopped and took the pictures below.

The temperature and humidity has to be just right for this to happen. As soon as the sun hits them they're gone.
View attachment 192600 View attachment 192601 View attachment 192602 View attachment 192603 View attachment 192604

I've seen this in N. central Lincoln county. It had formed around only one type of weed. My understanding is the conditions have to be just right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom