"every American is able to choose to live in a community they feel proud of"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really, you guys sound like the folks against busing and integration during the 60s and 70s. Haven't you all realized how wrong those rednecks were?

It's time to embrace change, share a little of the bounty you are blessed with, and help those who aren't as privileged.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really, you guys sound like the folks against busing and integration during the 60s and 70s. Haven't you all realized how wrong those rednecks were?

It's time to embrace change, share a little of the bounty you are blessed with, and help those who aren't as privileged.

Government do-gooders frequently don't look beyond their misplaced good intentions to take human behavior into account when making such decisions.

Regarding busing:

From wikipedia.org

Criticism
In a Gallup poll taken in the early 1970s, very low percentages of whites (4 percent) and blacks (9 percent) supported busing outside of local neighborhoods.[3] A 1978 study by the RAND Corporation set out to find why whites were opposed to busing and concluded that it was not because they held racist attitudes, but because they believed it destroyed neighborhood schools and camaraderie and increased discipline problems.[3] It is said that busing eroded the community pride and support that neighborhoods had for their local schools.[3] After busing, 60 percent of Boston parents, both black and white, reported more discipline problems in schools.[3] In the 1968, 1972, and 1976 presidential elections, candidates opposed to busing were elected each time, and Congress voted repeatedly to end court-mandated busing.[18]

Opponents of desegregation busing[who?] claim that children were being bused to schools in dangerous neighborhoods, compromising their education and personal safety. Critics point out that children in the Northeast were often bused from integrated schools to less integrated schools.[3] The percentage of Northeastern black children who attended a predominantly black school increased from 67 percent in 1968 to 80 percent in 1980 (a higher percentage than in 1954).[3]

Busing is claimed to have accelerated a trend of middle-class relocation to the suburbs of metropolitan areas.[3] Many opponents of busing claimed the existence of "white flight" based on the court decisions to integrate schools.[3] Such stresses led white middle-class families in many communities to desert the public schools and create a network of private schools.[3]

Ultimately, even many black leaders, from Wisconsin State Rep. Annette Polly Williams, a Milwaukee Democrat, to Cleveland Mayor Michael White, have come to the conclusion that it is patronizing to think that minority students need to sit next to a white student to learn, and as such led efforts to end busing.[19]

In 1978, a proponent of busing, Nancy St. John, studied 100 cases of urban busing from the North and did not find what she had been looking for:[3] she found no cases in which significant black academic improvement occurred, but many cases where race relations suffered due to busing, as those in forced-integrated schools had worse relations with those of the opposite race than those in non-integrated schools.[3] Researcher David Armour, also looking for hopeful signs, found that busing "heightens racial identity" and "reduces opportunities for actual contact between the races."[3] A 1992 study led by Harvard University Professor Gary Orfield, who supports busing, found black and Hispanic students lacked "even modest overall improvement" as a result of court-ordered busing.[20]

Another mystery was why Asian students, segregated in some school systems,[21] nevertheless thrived academically.[22]

During the 1970s, 60 Minutes reported that some members of Congress, government, and the press who supported busing most vociferously sent their own children to private schools, including Senator Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Thurgood Marshall, Phil Hart, Ben Bradlee, Senator Birch Bayh, Tom Wicker, Philip Geyelin and Donald Fraser.[3] Many of the judges who ordered busing also sent their children to private schools.[3]

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reminds me of Lawton/FtSill... That whole town is section 8

Thays not true , you take it back....;(

Love thy neighbor and help them lift themselves up.

Well...Make up your cotton pickin mind

The best way to integrate into a neighborhood that is both desirable and one you can be proud of is to better yourself so that you can afford to live the lifestyle that it takes to support a home in that area. you want access to local assets like a nice home in a nice neighborhood with a nice pool and nice schools?

GET OFF WELFARE AND YOUR BUTT AND MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF.

Government needs to stay OUT of my neighborhood.

NO They OWE it to me, They Gonna Pay,..Man

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thays not true , you take it back....;(

Well...Make up your cotton pickin mind

NO They OWE it to me, They Gonna Pay,..Man

LMAO! When I lived in Lawton, the neighborhoods were ridiculous. Million dollar gates communities in the $24k 2bed average ghetto... Winding infrastructure-retard roads through the ghetto that turn to pristine blacktop at the 14ft rot iron gates. It was so odd driving the un-navigable neighborhoods. I have a cousin down there, he loves that town... I'll never get it. And y'all should love your neighbors, even when the ghetto moves in next door. Gran Torino rings a bell

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Are you TRYING to troll, or is the sarcasm? I can't really tell and it's not coming across to me.

Just in case you're serious I say this: There are more ways for a poor person to get educated for free than there ever has been in the history of mankind. Education is power. Education is money. Education IS the bounty. Think you're disadvantaged? then take advantage of all the programs out there that will get you a college education or a technical skill. There is no excuse in this United States for ANYONE - regardless of race, gender or any other factor - to sit in their ghetto section 8 house, countin' their food stamps while they smoke that cigarette and complain about how 'bad they dun got it' - don't like where you're at? effect change in your own life. It's not my job. I'm doing my job. I'm doing my part. That's why I live where I live, drive what I drive, shoot what I shoot - It's not because the 'gubmint duns gave me sumthin' - It's because I worked my ASS off for it. You should have to do the same. You want to live at my economic level? I say earn it.

I do not now, nor will I ever support distribution of MY hard earned 'bounty' to anyone else - you want to share in the bounty? share in the social, economic and fiscal responsibility. So damn tired of whiners crying about how they can't get ahead in life. I call ********. :pissed:

Take responsibility for your own destiny, make your own way. I had to. you should too.

As far as military pay - I would happily vote for pay increases for enlisted men and women. happily. It should come right out of the salaries and budgets of the bureaucrats in Washington. You wanna shift the wealth? THAT is where you do it.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hypocracy is getting deep in here. Don't take from me, take from those above me...

A wise man once told me, never look upon your neighbor to see how much they have... Look upon them to see if they have enough.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The hypocracy is getting deep in here. Don't take from me, take from those above me...

A wise man once told me, never look upon your neighbor to see how much they have... Look upon them to see if they have enough.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he is fed for a lifetime.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I could care less about material property, I'd rather hold merit on their personality & actions. I could care less if they are dirt poor or rich, if they are scum stay were they are at. Nice neighborhoods should not be brought down in the name of "fairness". There is a connection between doing this & crime becoming more widespread along with the property value taking a nose dive once a neighborhood which used to be considered nice loses that reputation.

This makes a great case for living in the country with no neighbors.

And this is exactly why I do not live in the city. Hell I'm actually debating moving further out away from where I'm at now even.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the people who are proud of their community now, but don't want it to turn into a ghetto?
I am very proud of my community. I have lived here most of my life. It is a little subsection of Shawnee called South Rock Creek. It is mostly middle to upper class out here. And about a few months ago some idots decided to build a low income housing development about 2 blocks from my house. I was so pissed when I found this out. Not only will there be those dumps that will ruin our property values but there will also be kids that will start going to South Rock Creek. It will probably be a snow ball affect. It will probably ruin the community. All because someone chose there to build section 8 and low income housing. I called just to see how their income limits were. They said for a family of 3 the max you could make was $28,000 a year! The low income crap is spreading everywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom