Excess inventory of used firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the point that Firpo is trying to make is that her time is being spent doing nothing productive anyway, why not spend it doing something to generate business. It may not generate a small bit of revenue at the moment, but it builds the customer base, which is a necessity in these times.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The high transfer rates that Big boys and H&H and some others charge is your "punishment" for not buying from them. Actually heard it (overheard it wwould be more acurate) from the horses mouth on that one.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They might as well say, buy it somewhere else and we are going to screw you, and if you buy it here, we'll try to screw you. Whatever happened to I"ll take a piece of the pie?
There are some FFLs that just HATE doing transfers.

They see it as taking money out of their pocket.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know it's funny because thinking on this thread, there's plenty of folks here that are selling things the same way and not being willing to mark things down. To be fair, I've got a few things listed in the classifieds although they're probably at the bottom where no one sees them. I feel like I've priced fair and about the limit of where I'd sell them versus "awww heck, I'll just keep it" prices.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the point that Firpo is trying to make is that her time is being spent doing nothing productive anyway, why not spend it doing something to generate business. It may not generate a small bit of revenue at the moment, but it builds the customer base, which is a necessity in these times.
Bingo. Fire the wife and do himself.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, I've got a few things listed in the classifieds although they're probably at the bottom where no one sees them. I feel like I've priced fair and about the limit of where I'd sell them versus "awww heck, I'll just keep it" prices.
And ya know a private party sale IMO is much different than a business whose goal should be generating revenue but their actions don’t match their goal. As for your items not selling it’s likely one of two things that are happening that being one, you’re priced right and not reaching the right customers or you’ve priced them, even though you don’t think so, that you’ve priced them higher than their actual value.
It’s kind of like fishing. If you don’t care if you really catch a fish but just enjoy sitting there with your line in the water then by all means enjoy. Now if you’re a commercial fisherman who needs to catch fish to make your house and car payments along with utilities and food I’d expect you to have a different paradigm. Some feathers may get ruffled here but passively sitting on your butt waiting for a phone to ring or someone to walk in your business is NOT sales. Sales is an active process identifying customer’s needs, knowing your product and developing relationships (people buy from people), etc…. So let’s say a potential customer asks to buy from you a drill and set of bits. What is he really buying? A hint….it ain’t a drill and bits. The customer is really buying a hole. If this makes sense then you understand sales. If not then you would be better served enjoying a respectable career operations. 😉😂😂

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And ya know a private party sale IMO is much different than a business whose goal should be generating revenue but their actions don’t match their goal. As for your items not selling it’s likely one of two things that are happening that being one, you’re priced right and not reaching the right customers or you’ve priced them, even though you don’t think so, that you’ve priced them higher than their actual value.
It’s kind of like fishing. If you don’t care if you really catch a fish but just enjoy sitting there with your line in the water then by all means enjoy. Now if you’re a commercial fisherman who needs to catch fish to make your house and car payments along with utilities and food I’d expect you to have a different paradigm. Some feathers may get ruffled here but passively sitting on your butt waiting for a phone to ring or someone to walk in your business is NOT sales. Sales is an active process identifying customer’s needs, knowing your product and developing relationships (people buy from people), etc…. So let’s say a potential customer asks to buy from you a drill and set of bits. What is he really buying? A hint….it ain’t a drill and bits. The customer is really buying a hole. If this makes sense then you understand sales. If not then you would be better served enjoying a respectable career operations. 😉😂😂
Yeah...when I list something I try to put a fair price. If it goes it goes, if it doesn't I just have more toys. Eventually my daughter will get a heck of a check when my collection goes to auction. If I sell something before my reckoning it's usually to fund something else that I want more, rather than to try to pay bills.

Unrelated, but I'd probably be better in operations --- I don't want to go around selling my holes ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom