Experts: Mystery contrail was from Chinese missile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Airport radar doesn't pick up objects... it is a receiver that picks up the signal produced by the transponders in the airplanes which identify them and provide information about speed, direction, altitude and aircraft type and ID.

Standard civilian airport radar does not pick up aircraft without transponders or missiles (which also do not have transponders).

Not true. Most radar installations are made up of two components; the primary and secondary. The primary (large dish) picks up skin reflections, the secondary (a small unit under the primary) interrogates the transponders. A few years ago I was coming to Tulsa and my transponder died. They asked me to make a couple of turns to verify me on the primary and then cleared me in.

Nraman is correct. Kudo's - most pilots aren't familiar with that.

If there was in fact an object out there (particularly the size of a sub launched missile), someone's radar should have picked it up, transponder or no transponder.

FTR, I for one, think it was a missile and someone is lying.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess all I'm saying is that, if it were all that common (contrails that look like that), we wouldn't even be talking about this. How does this make the news if planes are out there doing this everyday?

Latest posts

Top Bottom