Favorite practical handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose your favorite handgun

• Total voters

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot IDPA with Jay and what I think he is relating is our experiences at local matches.(He also shoots regionally/nationally)
There are *always* problems with 1911s and other makes but the stock Glocks keep on churnin'.

If I were going to make a broad generalization about reliability,I'd choose SIG.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are *always* problems with 1911s and other makes but the stock Glocks keep on churnin'

Well of course..... the hand of god come down and assists each cycle. :) Whereas any given 1911 is lucky to make it through an entire magazine.

I shoot IDPA with Jay and what I think he is relating is our experiences at local matches.(He also shoots regionally/nationally)

Hey that's great and we get to hear about this often, however 1911s still continue to do extremely well in competition. 1911s swept the Bianchi cup awhile back and place in the top 5 almost every year. From what I understand 1911s still do well in ISPC, PPC and IDPA matches (outside of OK I guess)

Also, remember that guy on GlockTalk that had a pissing contest about which make going 1000 rounds? A 1911 won it this year and woud have won it last year but was disqualified due to the owner not paying attention and not having a mag in his weapon in one of the rounds. However, the 1911 seemed to somehow make it 900 something rounds or so without failing. So technically in terms of reliability.... a 1911 won both years. Far from scientific but interesting nonetheless.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of how 1911s do elsewhere,there is usually at *least* one down at every match here.
I can't change that fact.
Some of the die hard 1911 guys have switched to Glock.
Others never have a problem with their 1911s and more power to them,they are nice guns.
I'd carry one if I thought I could trust them but I've ridden in that rodeo many times.
Maybe someday,I'll find one that works as good as a SIG. ;)

We do see problems with Glocks but they are usually guns that have been modified.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of how 1911s do elsewhere,there is usually at *least* one down at every match here.

Fair enough but you do realize that "here" is an extremely limited experience and therefore not gospel.

Some of the die hard 1911 guys have switched to Glock.

Aye... and I've seen a good number of die hard Glock fans switch to 1911, H&Ks, Sigs, or CZs.

We do see problems with Glocks but they are usually guns that have been modified.

I would also bet that a number of 1911s that have problems are in the same boat. The first thing I see a good number of 1911s owners do is mod a weapon before shooting it. I'm also wondering how many of these weapons are also the more problematic makes. For instance Kimber is on their fourth extractor redesign since the series II came out.... not saying that they are all bad, but that they have problems. On the other side if someone is shooting a Les Baer, Wilson, Nowlin, RRA etc.... I wonder how many of these have problems.

JuniorDVC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love all guns, but not equally. I like glock the most, then 1911, then everything else, and then sigs. :)

At the matches and training courses I'e been to, every type of gun has jammed, except glocks.

I haven't shot an XD very much, so I wouldn't know of their reliability compared to glocks

But hey, they're all fun to shoot. Also, they're all better than a knife...

-jay

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. The top two are about what I expected. I am surprised by the number of votes for the CZs. I've not had any personal experience with them, guess I'll have to check them out. And WHAT, NO VOTES FOR MOUSEGUNS?

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish we were allowed more than one vote. I voted 1911, but I also love my Beretta 92fs.

BTW, I'm glad I found this forum. I went to a steel match in Ada this weekend and the guys there mentioned it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom