Federal Firearms Registry and 4473's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, it is perfectly official

What's the big deal about gun registration anyway?
I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, but what difference does it really make? It doesn't seem to violate the Constitution in any way.....

Weleetka. ;)

First on registration, some of us tinfoil hat types don't want the Gov to know where they are if they decide to come get them.

Second, where in the Constitution does the Federal Government derive the power to register them?

Michael

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So in a sense there's an unofficial registry?

Yes. The original intent was that there would be no registration kept by the Feds. They got around the intent of ther law by requiring all FFL's to turn in all records when they go out of business. Back door registration.

The result is a good law that the government didn't like so they pretty much ignore the true intent of it.

Michael

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First on registration, some of us tinfoil hat types don't want the Gov to know where they are if they decide to come get them.

Second, where in the Constitution does the Federal Government derive the power to register them?

Michael

I agree,but(there's always a but)the way government has interpeted the interstate commerce clause(incorrectly I believe)they believe they do have the autority to do just about anything.Damn the consititution.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First on registration, some of us tinfoil hat types don't want the Gov to know where they are if they decide to come get them
Back door registration.
You are being facetious, right?
Not being facetious at all.
So they are registered, and they know you have one...what's the big deal? :scratch:
Does anyone really think the 'government' is going to go door-to-door disarming citizens?
I mean, they are pretty much already registered as it stands.
Obviously they can find you and your gun if they need to for an investigation...happens all the time, yet there has been no massive round up.

Okay,okay.... so what if :rolleyes2 they did decide to initiate such a massive undertaking....
Let's take off the foil hats and take a serious look at this...
Does anyone honestly believe it would be anything but an utter and massive failure? :anyone:

lol
Besides...whatever happened to the ol' "They ain't gettin' my gun" bit?
:burnout:

where in the Constitution does the Federal Government derive the power to register them?
I don't know that it does, but...
Where does it prohibit them from doing so?

Im surprised they never asked me about my Glock 22 I used to have. I got caught carrying unlawfully in 07' got my gun back and sold it to my cousin's friend. Granted my cousin's friend is a bit of a loser and never gets out of his house aside from going to WalMart so I know he wasn't involved. But it was on record with my name that I had owned one because they gave me a receipt when I got the gun and five empty magazines back. They kept the bullets :)

Hell until I looked at a map I didn't even know where that town Wakeeta was.
It very well could have been narrowed down to owners of those who fit a specific criteria....just guessing, but it's entirely plausible.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J.P. said:

The Constitution doesn't need to prohibit anything to the Union. The Union only has those powers granted to it(See Note Below). The prohibition against Congress establishing a national religion in the First Amendment wasn't really necessary. In order for Congress to establish a national religion, that specific power would have to have been granted. For that matter, the Second Amendment is superfluous in regards to Congress. Congress has not been granted power to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms. All of Congress's actions interfering with the keeping and bearing of arms, and trade in arms, is usurpation of power through the bastardization of the Commerce Clause. However, that bastardization of the Commerce Clause technically brought the Second Amendment into play and the Second Amendment should prohibit even the bastardized Commerce Clause from being used to interfere with(infringe upon) the keeping and bearing of arms.

Note: The prohibitions in Section 9 of Article I in the Constitution are limits upon powers granted to Congress in Section 8 and upon other powers granted elsewhere in the Constitution.​

Woody

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Not being facetious at all.
So they are registered, and they know you have one...what's the big deal? :scratch:
Does anyone really think the 'government' is going to go door-to-door disarming citizens?
I mean, they are pretty much already registered as it stands.
Obviously they can find you and your gun if they need to for an investigation...happens all the time, yet there has been no massive round up.

Okay,okay.... so what if :rolleyes2 they did decide to initiate such a massive undertaking....
Let's take off the foil hats and take a serious look at this...
Does anyone honestly believe it would be anything but an utter and massive failure? :anyone:

lol
Besides...whatever happened to the ol' "They ain't gettin' my gun" bit?
:burnout:

It very well could have been narrowed down to owners of those who fit a specific criteria....just guessing, but it's entirely plausible.

i agree that a massive search would be a terrible failure that would drag on for months.i also believe that it would frustrate the hell out of the feds.in return there would be major consequences in the way of a "we'll show you" move.we are moving in that direction maybe not in the next few years,but we're still headed that way.people are just worried about their future rights being deteriorated today.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

JP... are you drinking?? :scratch:

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Thus, without a positive grant of enumeration the federal government has no authority on a particular issue. Since registration of firearms in not mentioned in the Constitution, the feds have no authority to do so. Simple enough.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Constitution doesn't need to prohibit anything to the Union. The Union only has those powers granted to it(See Note Below). The prohibition against Congress establishing a national religion in the First Amendment wasn't really necessary. In order for Congress to establish a national religion, that specific power would have to have been granted. For that matter, the Second Amendment is superfluous in regards to Congress. Congress has not been granted power to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms. All of Congress's actions interfering with the keeping and bearing of arms, and trade in arms, is usurpation of power through the bastardization of the Commerce Clause. However, that bastardization of the Commerce Clause technically brought the Second Amendment into play and the Second Amendment should prohibit even the bastardized Commerce Clause from being used to interfere with(infringe upon) the keeping and bearing of arms.

Note: The prohibitions in Section 9 of Article I in the Constitution are limits upon powers granted to Congress in Section 8 and upon other powers granted elsewhere in the Constitution.​

Woody
JP... are you drinking?? :scratch:

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Thus, without a positive grant of enumeration the federal government has no authority on a particular issue. Since registration of firearms in not mentioned in the Constitution, the feds have no authority to do so. Simple enough.
That's all well and good, but technically registration doesn't equal infringement...or does it?
Just because they desire to register something...does that infringe upon your right to keep and bear it?
If so, how?
We do have voter registration...

people are just worried about their future rights being deteriorated today.
Looking at the zillions of gun laws already on the books, I'm not convinced they are.
Of course, I've been known to be wrong....

Latest posts

Top Bottom