Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...burns-while-firefighters-watch-191241763.html

Looks like the residents of this community didn't learn the first time

I love this comment from a volunteer firefighter, especially that in bold:
I am a volunteer firefighter/EMT. My fire department is funded by donations and its own members. I live in a rural area. NONE of us would of ever let someone's house burn down. Our primary oath is to serve the community and protect human life and property. Not only is our country bankrupt, it is letting the almighty dollar ruin basic morals. Whatever happened to the good old days, where whole communities lined up handing buckets to help put out a neighbors fire. Have we lost human touch and care?

It's probably been said before and I'm not going to read back on 20 pages to make sure I'm not parroting someone else, but I understand a subscription-based fire fighting service. But, in these 2 cases surely something can be worked out where the fire department does their job and then charges these victims, something more than $75, something with incentive for neighbors to not want to skip out on paying $75/year (robbing funds from the department) and waiting to pay once their house is ablaze.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I would want it on my conscience of just standing by while everything someone owns burns if I had the capability to help. I personally think that every one of those firefighters should have it happen to them.

I'm sure it was hard for the firefighters to stand around and do nothing, but you have to look at the big picture. The residents opted out of paying the $75 fee even after seeing what happened to the folks last year who didn't pay the fee. If the firefighters had taken action to put out the fire regardless of whether the fee had been paid or not, then more and more people would think it's OK to opt out of paying the fee that goes to defray the costs of the fire department. Then the whole community would suffer for the selfish choices of the few.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I would want it on my conscience of just standing by while everything someone owns burns if I had the capability to help. I personally think that every one of those firefighters should have it happen to them.

I don't see why you would want that to happen to somebody. I'm sure they didn't make the individual decision not to help. It's policy. No person was in physical harm. Unfortunate situation, but the guy didn't pay. It is what it is. Your lack of preparation is no one's fault, but your own.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's probably been said before and I'm not going to read back on 20 pages to make sure I'm not parroting someone else, but I understand a subscription-based fire fighting service. But, in these 2 cases surely something can be worked out where the fire department charges these victims, something more than $75, something with incentive for neighbors to not want to skip out on paying $75/year (robbing funds from the department) and waiting to pay once their house is ablaze.

There's also a $500 call-out fee IIRC.

You can also get ahead of this issue by volunteering to pay the $75 fee now for people who can't afford it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's probably been said before and I'm not going to read back on 20 pages to make sure I'm not parroting someone else, but I understand a subscription-based fire fighting service. But, in these 2 cases surely something can be worked out where the fire department does their job and then charges these victims, something more than $75, something with incentive for neighbors to not want to skip out on paying $75/year (robbing funds from the department) and waiting to pay once their house is ablaze.

They have that. It costs you one house and all of your belongings.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this pretty much sums it up. Pay the fee or suffer the consequences. It's a pretty simple concept.

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

"There's no way to go to every fire and keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," Crocker said.

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by. That incident sparked a debate among conservative pundits over the limits of fee-for-service approaches to government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom