Fishing at Tom Steed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well DrTurkenstein I appreciate the tips and all. You going to North Carolina permanently?

No problem on the tips. Steed is a great fishery that I've enjoyed on and off for the last 15 years. I started fishing there in 95 when I was first stationed at Fort Sill. This is my 3rd time being stationed here and now I get to go back to Fort Bragg. In 15 years in the Army I've only been stationed 3 places. Fort Sill, Fort Stewart, GA and Fort Bragg. I decided to retire near Fort Bragg when I hit the 20 year mark (only 5 to go) and I own a home there so it's like we are going home. I'm originally from the southeast and really miss the trees. I'm gonna miss the great hunting and fishing here but y'all can have the crazy weather. Something else I'm not gonna miss is having to pay for hunting tags. In North Carolina tags are included in the price of the license. I think it's $58 for a hunting and fishing combo that includes 6 deer, 2 spring turkeys, 1 bear and 2 hogs. Hogs are regulated in 6 counties and have a season. In the other 94 counties they aren't regulated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well guys sorry I was not able to update you guys sooner. Well me and buddy went out May 14th to Tom Steed to do some crappie fishing. We got there about 9:45 in the morning after a two and half hour drive. It was very windy and chilly pretty much the whole day with dark clouds that brought sprinkles every so often. We pretty much fished the same way Drturkenstein suggested, we were running slip bobber setups with minnows. We were fishing no more than a foot from the bank and no deeper than a foot and we absolutely slayed them. I came home with 20 nice crappie and my buddy Will, who is the experienced one at all this went home with 32. This was after we tossed about 15 back because they were a bit small.I Also caught 3 nice sand bass and a nice 1.5lb largemouth. Will caught a goggleeye sunfish or something like that and also about a 3lb drum on a jig. He also went home with 5 crappie that went over 2lbs each. We fished for about 6hrs and I have to say that I had a blast! I am ready for my next fishing trip already. Also I am pretty set on buying me a boat in the next couple of weeks. Sorry but I just got a horrible cell picture in the kitchen before I started cleaning them. Hey Oklahomabassin I am down for the some hybrid fishing whenever you are. Just let me know :hey3:

Heck of a trip. Crappie are better eating than hybrids, but I will see what I can do when the weather gets more steady.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be headed to Altus-Lugert come memorial day weekend to slay some crappie,Walleye, and Hybrid. I emailed the Local bait shop owner there and he said the fishing was great. He has a 20lb hybrid in his freezer that he is holding for a gentlemen until he finds a good taxidermist. Man I can't wait!

Latest posts

Top Bottom