Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but Sept. 20th seems kind of late to me. The farmers I know are talking about planting wheat any time now. I understand waiting for it to cool, but why so late in Sept.? Are you guys following the farmers almanac or something? Looks like we might be getting some cooler temps and rain this weekend.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
sleeperx4 sept 20th may be just a little to late just depends on weather if it cools down then a guy could plant earlier,but when it is 90s daytime and 70s at night that is just to hot for small grains to do well and it seems to me when i have seen it planted when it is hot it never does any good even after temps cool down

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been planting food plots since 1987. I have been a field tester for the Whitetail institute for North America for many years and I know a thing or two about developing food plots for wildlife. Every year I see people that have ants in their pants about planting food plots on Sept 1 and then when the plots fail they cannot understand why?? It is because they dont listen and heed the advise of people who have gone before them and made these same mistakes.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok! Ok! You guys talked me into holding off planting for a couple more weeks. Your exactly right about the ant in the pants deerslayer, I can't wait to get going. So, instead of planting we're going work on fencing,stands, and such, then do some dove hunting.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason some farmers are planting wheat right now is that they have so much ground to plant that it takes a long time to complete. Wheat can take the stress and survive when other seeds can't. This is why I wait until later because I know my success rate will be higher with lower air temps, ground temps and higher rain chances. Trust me the deer will know what you are doing. You till the ground and that night the deer will check out the plots.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sleeperx4- Go for it. We are projected to receive 1.3 inches on Thursday.80% chance on Thursday followed by 30% and 20% for 4-5 days after that. I am going to plant 1/2 acre of buck forage oats tomorrow. The BFO should be up in a 2-3 days. I will then hit it with a combination plant growth stimulant and humic acid to jump start the growth and develop the root structure quickly in the event that the weather turns hot again. The growth stimulant will enhance /speed up the plant growth and root development as well as increase the nutrient uptake by the plant thereby allowing them to grow faster/stronger and withstand stress. More on this soon,stay tuned.

Soon I will reveal a biodegradable 100% organic product that will eliminate your scent and allow you to varmint hunt and deer hunt down wind.Yes, you read that right. Some of the readers on this forum have already received their supply. This is something I have been using for 20 years that covers food odors, fuel odors, body odor,organic and inorganic odors. You just forget your scent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom